frontend

Post by Franco Bevilacqu » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:20:16

Hi everybody !
Does someone can tell me how can I write my own frontend to a linux
program.
Does some tutorials or howto exist for doing that?
Where can I find some simples examples ?
In advance thanks for your answers.
- Franco
sdg

frontend

Post by Franco Bevilacqu » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:03:50

Sorry  my question was not clear enough. :-)
I want to do a front-end to binary command line program (like gdb,
cvs,....)
How can I reuse the binary program,  how can I communicate with it
using  a user interface ?
Is there a methodology or a protocol for doing this.
Does someone can give me some simple examples?
In advance thanks...
Franco.

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:20:16 +0200, Franco Bevilacqua

> >Hi everybody !
> >Does someone can tell me how can I write my own frontend to a linux
> >program.
> >Does some tutorials or howto exist for doing that?
> >Where can I find some simples examples ?
> >In advance thanks for your answers.

> www.gtk.org  look for the tutorials. There are plenty
> of examples.
> If you are relly a beginner, it might be easier in perl.
> There is a gtk-perl tutorial.

> You can also use tk.
> The book Mastering Perl/TK is a step by step guide
> to making tk front ends. You can read it online
> at O'reilly's Safari website. You could be making your
> own front-end in less than a week with that book.
> http://safari.oreilly.com

frontend

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:20:27

> Sorry  my question was not clear enough. :-)
> I want to do a front-end to binary command line program (like gdb,
> cvs,....)
> How can I reuse the binary program,  how can I communicate with it
> using  a user interface ?

pipes

Quote:> Is there a methodology or a protocol for doing this.
> Does someone can give me some simple examples?

man pipe

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

frontend

Post by Franco Bevilacqu » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:45:34

I  done "man pipe" under linux, but there are poor informations about
it, I suppose that I can find on the web, do you have a idea where
can I find some examples of front end based on pipes ?
Thanks --

Are the pipes bidirectional?

> > Sorry  my question was not clear enough. :-)
> > I want to do a front-end to binary command line program (like gdb,
> > cvs,....)
> > How can I reuse the binary program,  how can I communicate with it
> > using  a user interface ?

> pipes

> > Is there a methodology or a protocol for doing this.
> > Does someone can give me some simple examples?

> man pipe

> --
> M?ns Rullg?rd

frontend

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:48:36

> I  done "man pipe" under linux, but there are poor informations about
> it, I suppose that I can find on the web, do you have a idea where
> can I find some examples of front end based on pipes ?

There are tons of them.  Search google for 'gdb frontend' or 'cdrecord
frontend'.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

1. Frontend program for lm_sensors?

Dear all:

I finally got lm_sensors up and running. I am looking for a frontend
program (able to dock into panel) that using lm_sensors... I use
Enlightenment.
I have tried klm... But, the display does not seem to work very well
with Enlightenment... Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Alex.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

2. Alter-Egos

3. x-frontend for mtools

4. Sony CD-ROM 52X (CDU-5211)

5. Graphical Frontend for Apache configuration ?

6. Is there a possibilty to mount a cdrom as loopback?

7. Linux frontend to a DOS BBS

8. File Server using Linux

9. DB-Frontend?

10. ersh - rsh frontend hack returning exit status of remote cmd

11. Burncd frontend?

12. GUI-Frontend fuer RCS/CVS

13. what exactly is a frontend?