Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

Post by SUNDQVIST DANIE » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I wonder how i use the dd comand to write a file to my floppy at sector 2,
head 0 and track 0. I now that if i do a " dd if=thefile of=/dev/fd0 bs=512
count=1", it writes my 512 byte big bootsector to sector 1. But how should i
do if i want it to write my other file to sector 2?

I should be glad if someone helped my out with this so i can continue to try
to build a litle operating system.

/ Dale, Sweden

Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

Post by Richard Che » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Check out skip option of dd command.

Quote:> Hi
> I wonder how i use the dd comand to write a file to my floppy at sector
2,
> head 0 and track 0. I now that if i do a " dd if=thefile of=/dev/fd0
bs=512
> count=1", it writes my 512 byte big bootsector to sector 1. But how
should i
> do if i want it to write my other file to sector 2?

> I should be glad if someone helped my out with this so i can continue to
try
> to build a litle operating system.

> / Dale, Sweden

Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

Post by Alexander Avtansk » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

dd if=thefile of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1 skip=1

"skip=1" skips one block.

--
---

1. write sector by sector...

Hi,

I have got a linux/win98 dual boot machine.  One of the win98 FAT32
partition became quite freaky recently.  Scandisk offers no help;
crashes each time when it is scanning a certain part of the partition.
 Then I reboot to linux, use badblock and identified the bad
sectors...  (Forgive me for being so cheap.  Poor old postgrad
student. )

So far so good.  But, now I need to write bad cluster flag (0xffff
fff7) to the FAT32 table.  I figured that I need to fill 200 sectors
with that flag.  Can you think of any unix utility that can do the
job? Thanks in advance.

2. hardware recommendation needed

3. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

4. Linux plip and NCSA telnet

5. writing (large) *fixed-length* files (to tape) using 'dd', et al

6. Win modem problem

7. using dd to dump pc-written tape

8. Q: Netscape 3.0 over a term-server connection?

9. dd command fails when used with remsh

10. Using DD command

11. using the dd command

12. using the dd command to list tape

13. copy OS2, or win95 partitions using linux DD command?