Pop-up dialog to X11 display from other program

Pop-up dialog to X11 display from other program

Post by Peter Caffi » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm tring to write a faxing filter under Linux which will be
called from /etc/printcap. Is there a way to bring up a query box in
an xterm, called by the /etc/printcap script? All it needs to do
is ask for an integer. I can do it in either PERL, C or a bash script.
Whichever seems more appropriate.

Or will I have to learn some X11 programming to accomplish this task? If
so, what would people recommend? If I'm forced downn the road of writing
for X11, I'd rather use libraries that are freely available.

Thanks for any help you wish to give :).

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/

Post by Peter Caffi » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm tring to write a faxing filter under Linux which will be
> called from /etc/printcap. Is there a way to bring up a query box in
> an xterm, called by the /etc/printcap script? All it needs to do
> is ask for an integer.

Well, I've started learning the XView Toolkit (simple, and it works).
So, that should be the interface side out of the way.

Unfortunately, the means I was hoping to use aren't available. The lp
daemon will accept either a directive to go to a remote printer *or* a
directive to execute a program/script.

I'll have to look at some sort of client-server model of interaction
between the program called by /etc/printcap and a client-side program
called at the same time as the window manager.

(I just thought I'd mention all this in case someone else might be
tempted by my prior message to do down the same blind alley as I did)