aboutC..advice

Post by Sammy Mannaer » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hello, since some of you had an experience with Unix or Unix-like system, I
> want to ask is C language is really importance to learn or just with C++ you
> can do all the task that C can, maybe better and more eficient? so I can do
> all the programming in C++

> thanks
> rgd. Lucisferre

anything that can be done in c can be done in c++ and vice versa.
if your goal is to program in c++, start with c++ immediately.

aboutC..advice

Post by Peter Roozemaa » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hello, since some of you had an experience with Unix or Unix-like system, I
> want to ask is C language is really importance to learn or just with C++ you
> can do all the task that C can, maybe better and more eficient? so I can do
> all the programming in C++

The UNIX system call interface and the UNIX standard libraries have a
"C" interface, so they are available as `external "C"' functions from
C++. Most of the UNIX development work that I do at the moment is done
in C++; very convenient with the OO possibilities and the STL at hand...
and all the low level power that C offers.
Depending on what you want to do there are a few recommandations:
 - learn (bourne) shell programming
 - learn how to write Makefiles
 - get a good book on UNIX system programming (Stevens: Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment, or another one)
 - a scripting language like Python, AWK or Perl is convenient for the
Quick and Less Clean programming tasks.

You might be enlightened before ESR finishes the The Art Of Unix
Programming.

Peter

aboutC..advice

Post by Lucisferr » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:12:34

Hello, since some of you had an experience with Unix or Unix-like system, I
want to ask is C language is really importance to learn or just with C++ you
can do all the task that C can, maybe better and more eficient? so I can do
all the programming in C++

thanks
rgd. Lucisferre

aboutC..advice

Post by Alex » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I've been programming in C++ for quite a few years. But recently I get
into a research team where they have already written tens of thousands of
lines of C code. They would welcome a C++ style in the future. Could you
offer some advice how I can move the code to C++ easily? It must be horrible
for me to rewrite all the code.

Thanks!

Alex

> > Hello, since some of you had an experience with Unix or Unix-like
system, I
> > want to ask is C language is really importance to learn or just with C++
you
> > can do all the task that C can, maybe better and more eficient? so I can
do
> > all the programming in C++

> The UNIX system call interface and the UNIX standard libraries have a
> "C" interface, so they are available as `external "C"' functions from
> C++. Most of the UNIX development work that I do at the moment is done
> in C++; very convenient with the OO possibilities and the STL at hand...
> and all the low level power that C offers.
> Depending on what you want to do there are a few recommandations:
>  - learn (bourne) shell programming
>  - learn how to write Makefiles
>  - get a good book on UNIX system programming (Stevens: Advanced
> Programming in the UNIX Environment, or another one)
>  - a scripting language like Python, AWK or Perl is convenient for the
> Quick and Less Clean programming tasks.

> You might be enlightened before ESR finishes the The Art Of Unix
> Programming.

> Peter

1. Need advice to build Mosaic 2.6 on Linux system

Hello,

I'm trying to build Mosaic-2.6 with Metrolink Motif 2.0 from source. My
System is a complete ELF one. With gcc-2.72, libc-5.1.18, ld-1.7.12 as
development environment.  Kernel is still 1.2.13.

There was something wrong with the XmManagerClassPart included from
/usr/include/X11/Xm/ManagerP.h .

I've no make log handy at the moment, but if someone is willing to help
me out, I'll provide them.

The exactly same kind of messages appear if I try to build moxftp-2.2.

Has someone out there a fix or idea handy?

TIA,
-volker
--

2. LinuxPPC on a Powerbook vs. Desktop

3. RAID Level 1 errors, need advice...

4. Newbie needs help

5. Advice on SMP machines required

6. K6 and Linux problem SOLVED

7. Partition Advice Request

8. glibc-2.1.3? Is there an RPM?

9. advice on radio modems

10. server/vb - advice please

11. Filesystem Problem. Help/Advice Required Please.

12. Need advice re chaining http proxies

13. YP/NIS advice?