Freeware projects that I can participate in

Freeware projects that I can participate in

Post by amand » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi
I am working in the streaming media sector and am looking for related free
software projects where I can make some useful contribution in my spare
time.

There are a couple of projects on the web but the seem to be have been
abandoned
If anyone can send more information on projects where I can be useful(my
experience listed below) - that will be great

experienced in TCP/IP/RTP/RTSP/BSD socket, XWindows on freeBSD/Solaris/Linux
and am looking for work in related projects
Thanks

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi
> I am working in the streaming media sector and am looking for related free
> software projects where I can make some useful contribution in my spare
> time.

> There are a couple of projects on the web but the seem to be have been
> abandoned
> If anyone can send more information on projects where I can be useful(my
> experience listed below) - that will be great

> experienced in TCP/IP/RTP/RTSP/BSD socket, XWindows on freeBSD/Solaris/Linux
> and am looking for work in related projects

Have a look at http://www.veryComputer.com/

One of the things that would be nice is a Python or Perl script (so its
completely portable across platforms) which can connect to an RTSP/RTP
server and download a file onto the local harddisk bypassing the need
for a standard player app.

Erik

Spook bait:
* Albright terrify extradite packages uranium
airport terminal Yeltsin code kill blast president
train station Clinton * nitro money sneak hash
keep secret DEA smuggle FBI get caught execute LSD
assassinate NSA terrorize bombed encrypt plutonium

Freeware projects that I can participate in

Post by amand » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the response
However, http://www.veryComputer.com/ does not seem to work
any suggestions?

Post by John Jense » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

: Hi
: I am working in the streaming media sector and am looking for related free
: software projects where I can make some useful contribution in my spare
: time.

Maybe:

        http://www.xiph.org/about.html

I think they are working on streaming.

Though sometimes its good to work on something different than your day job
... both as a change of pace but also to reduce intellectual property
conflicts.

John

1. Help: Expansion of Solaris 2.5 Freeware Project

Greetings:

Our Freeware for Solaris 2.5 for SPARC Web site

http://smc.vnet.net/solaris_2.5.html

has proven to be of significant value to many people around the world.
On that site we have placed precompiled packaged versions of the
programs listed below.

We are now preparing to add more programs to this site and we need
your assistance in selecting a new list of software to port and package.
We are also planning on doing x86 ports of all the software as time permits.

We have plans to mirror the above site on all the SunSITEs.

Hence, we are looking for

1. Suggestions for programs - including if possible the best location for
   finding the most recent source.

2. If you have already done a port to Solaris 2.5 for SPARC or x86 and
   can send us what you have done, we will include that with appropriate
   thanks.

3. If you have obtained a program compiled for Solaris 2.5 for SPARC or
   x86, please point us to that program.

4. If you are a developer of the program, we will want to discuss legal
   issues and get permissions when needed.

We would like to get started immediately, so get your suggestions in
soon.  We are also interested in any Internet related programs, tools,
scripts, etc. that might be of great value to Solaris users.  These can
be in C, Java, Perl, etc.

Thanks to all those whose advice we obtained in the past (we would like
to hear from you again) and to any new contributors.

Steve Christensen (working with Joel Conklin at Sun)

Already done - These programs will also appear on a soon to be released CD
from Sun's Academic and Research group:

autoconf
bash
bison
diffutils
elm
emacs
fileutils
flex
gawk
gcc
gdb
giftrans
gmake
grep
groff
gzip
ispell
jove
less
libg++
lynx
m4
patch
perl5
rcs
screen
sed
tar
tcl
tcsh
tex
texinfo
textutils
tin
traceroute
unzip
ups
xanim
xmfract
xv
zip

2. pppd incoming data stalls

3. Project to produce freeware Motif clone

4. AT2450 Under SuSE 6.1 ?

5. RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

6. abort system call

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Memory usage under Unix C++

9. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

10. CGI: apache canned response

11. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

12. Canned "ping"