trouble with Makefiles (SGI vs. Linux)

Post by Steve Drasc » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I wrote a makefile that works fine with Linux but gives errors on IRIX
machines. Specificly - The Irix machine complains when I use an if
statement before I have any of the rules.

Does anyone know where I can find a description of what is and what is not
allowed in IRIX Makefiles?

Cheers, Steve Drasco

--
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~sdrasco

Post by Jim Mellande » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I wrote a makefile that works fine with Linux but gives errors on IRIX
> machines. Specificly - The Irix machine complains when I use an if
> statement before I have any of the rules.

> Does anyone know where I can find a description of what is and what is not
> allowed in IRIX Makefiles?

> Cheers, Steve Drasco

> --
> http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~sdrasco

Probably your best bet would be to get the Gnu Make distribution from
your favorite site & compile it.

trouble with Makefiles (SGI vs. Linux)

Post by Iwan » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Try the GNU make utility.

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. newbie natd and ipfw startup question

3. FTP problem: linux>>win/SGI slow win/SGI>>linux fast

4. Mozilla always prints two blank pages!

5. FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

6. X10 Powerhouse Support?

7. Opinions wanted: HP vs SGI vs SUN

8. Kernels >1.3.x hanging

9. Matrox G400/Linux vs. XZ-based SGI Indy

10. REPOST: Graphics performance on Linux/PC vs SGI.

11. Any benchmark for Linux box v.s. Sun, IBM, SGI boxes?