ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Clayt » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 06:58:03



HEY!

I am looking for an ODBC driver to connect to SQL Server 7.0 on a
Windows 2000 machine FROM a RedHat 8 Linux box. Any suggestions?
Here's my general idea.

Tomcat (JSP Pages, using JDBC:ODBC)
ODBC Manager (unixODBC)
ODBC Driver (so I can use DSN's to connect to...)
SQL Server 7 (on my network somewhere)

I do NOT want a BRIDGE, as I DO NOT WANT TO ALTER MY Window's SQL
Server box in ANY way. But I do want a driver that I can instantiate
as an object in my JSP pages that can also be managed by unixODBC (or
even with NO manager). Does anybody have any suggestions, at all?

(Please don't say Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge)

I need it to be robust as this is a business solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clayton

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:05:12


[posted and mailed, please reply in news]


> I am looking for an ODBC driver to connect to SQL Server 7.0 on a
> Windows 2000 machine FROM a RedHat 8 Linux box. Any suggestions?
> Here's my general idea.

> Tomcat (JSP Pages, using JDBC:ODBC)
> ODBC Manager (unixODBC)
> ODBC Driver (so I can use DSN's to connect to...)
> SQL Server 7 (on my network somewhere)

> I do NOT want a BRIDGE, as I DO NOT WANT TO ALTER MY Window's SQL
> Server box in ANY way. But I do want a driver that I can instantiate
> as an object in my JSP pages that can also be managed by unixODBC (or
> even with NO manager). Does anybody have any suggestions, at all?

> (Please don't say Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge)

I maintain an article over what I know is available. (So it includes
Easysoft.) It's at http://www.algonet.se/~sommar/mssql/unix.html.

--

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:46:31



Quote:> I am looking for an ODBC driver to connect to SQL Server 7.0 on a
> Windows 2000 machine FROM a RedHat 8 Linux box. Any suggestions?
> Here's my general idea.

[...]

Quote:> I need it to be robust as this is a business solution.

Make up your mind!  First you say you want to use M$ SQL Server,
and then you say you want something robust.  You have two
mutually exclusive requirements.

Quote:> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PostgreSQL on Solaris (or Linux if you must).  Cheaper, more
stable, more reliable, more secure (remember Slapper?), and
more scalable.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by John Gaugha » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:10:08


 >Make up your mind!  First you say you want to use M$ SQL Server,
 >and then you say you want something robust.  You have two
 >mutually exclusive requirements.

Why would anyone want to use MS SQL Server? It is expensive, slow, and
prone to security vulnerabilities even if you lock it down. Plus, you
may be liable for additional patent royalty fees:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/29419.html

 >PostgreSQL on Solaris (or Linux if you must).  Cheaper, more
 >stable, more reliable, more secure (remember Slapper?), and
 >more scalable.

Why Solaris? Just move the database onto the Red Hat box that he already
has. Cheap and easy. Hell, the Red Hat box probably already has
PostgreSQL and MySQL already installed, if not running.

John Gaughan

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:37:14



> Why Solaris? Just move the database onto the Red Hat box that he already

Because Solaris is more scalable.  But for the OP, the RH
box they already have would likely be ideal.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Stride » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:16:51




> > I am looking for an ODBC driver to connect to SQL Server 7.0 on a
> > Windows 2000 machine FROM a RedHat 8 Linux box. Any suggestions?
> > Here's my general idea.

> [...]

> > I need it to be robust as this is a business solution.

> Make up your mind!  First you say you want to use M$ SQL Server,
> and then you say you want something robust.  You have two
> mutually exclusive requirements.

Bullshit.  What exactly would you call robust?

Multi-year uptimes with no unscheduled downtimes?

I've got several SQL Servers that would meet that bill.

Quote:

> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> PostgreSQL on Solaris (or Linux if you must).  Cheaper, more
> stable, more reliable, more secure (remember Slapper?), and
> more scalable.

    I think you mean Slammer.  Something for which a patch was out over 6
months ago?  Something that a correctly configured firewall protected
against?
Quote:

> --
> Rich Teer

> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
> URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Doug Roye » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:07:13



Quote:

> Bullshit.  What exactly would you call robust?

> Multi-year uptimes with no unscheduled downtimes?

> I've got several SQL Servers that would meet that bill.

I have worked with several unix systems that have not
been powered down or rebooted for years using databases.
Are you saying you have M$ SQL servers that have not been
powered down or rebooted for years? Or are you saying
that because you choose to reboot it - that it does not count
as down time?

If so, that would be the first time I have ever heard
of any M$ system being up for years.

--

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  Doug AT Royer.com              | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Stride » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:24:56




> > Bullshit.  What exactly would you call robust?

> > Multi-year uptimes with no unscheduled downtimes?

> > I've got several SQL Servers that would meet that bill.

> I have worked with several unix systems that have not
> been powered down or rebooted for years using databases.
> Are you saying you have M$ SQL servers that have not been
> powered down or rebooted for years? Or are you saying
> that because you choose to reboot it - that it does not count
> as down time?

I had replied privately, but I'll reply for the benefit of the group, but
yes, I've had several machines with uptimes over a year.

The only reason 3-4 of them were rebooted recently is they were moved 6-7
miles.

Oh, and none of them were hit by Slammer.

Quote:

> If so, that would be the first time I have ever heard
> of any M$ system being up for years.

It can be done.  One reason I've also seen it NOT done is some NT admins are
so USED to rebooting that they will reboot at the slightest sign of a
problem, rather than debug it with the machine up.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> --

>   Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
>   -------------------------------|-----------------------------
>   Doug AT Royer.com              | Office: (208)612-INET
>   http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
>                                  |   Cell: (208)520-4044

>                  We Do Standards - You Need Standards

 
 
 

ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

Post by Jim Kenned » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:00:28


Where I work our MS production systems have to get rebooted weekly or they
automatically reboot themselves.( or become so unusable/unstable that you
have to turn the machine physically off.)  I have never seen an MS
production server with uptime over a couple of months max and usually get
rebooted weekly as a preventative measure. (often on the recommendation of
MS support)  We did not get hit with the slammer virus, but MS and Siebel
did.  Siebel's support site was down for several days because of it. (They
had made a pact with MS to use their .net tools and this burned them)
Jim

--

with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure
it out.





> > > Bullshit.  What exactly would you call robust?

> > > Multi-year uptimes with no unscheduled downtimes?

> > > I've got several SQL Servers that would meet that bill.

> > I have worked with several unix systems that have not
> > been powered down or rebooted for years using databases.
> > Are you saying you have M$ SQL servers that have not been
> > powered down or rebooted for years? Or are you saying
> > that because you choose to reboot it - that it does not count
> > as down time?

> I had replied privately, but I'll reply for the benefit of the group, but
> yes, I've had several machines with uptimes over a year.

> The only reason 3-4 of them were rebooted recently is they were moved 6-7
> miles.

> Oh, and none of them were hit by Slammer.

> > If so, that would be the first time I have ever heard
> > of any M$ system being up for years.

> It can be done.  One reason I've also seen it NOT done is some NT admins
are
> so USED to rebooting that they will reboot at the slightest sign of a
> problem, rather than debug it with the machine up.

> > --

> >   Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
> >   -------------------------------|-----------------------------
> >   Doug AT Royer.com              | Office: (208)612-INET
> >   http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
> >                                  |   Cell: (208)520-4044

> >                  We Do Standards - You Need Standards

 
 
 

1. ODBC Driver for MS SQL Server?

HEY!

I am looking for an ODBC driver to connect to SQL Server 7.0 on a
Windows 2000 machine FROM a RedHat 8 Linux box. Any suggestions?
Here's my general idea.

Tomcat (JSP Pages, using JDBC:ODBC)
ODBC Manager (unixODBC)
ODBC Driver (so I can use DSN's to connect to...)
SQL Server 7 (on my network somewhere)

I do NOT want a BRIDGE, as I DO NOT WANT TO ALTER MY Window's SQL
Server box in ANY way. But I do want a driver that I can instantiate
as an object in my JSP pages that can also be managed by unixODBC (or
even with NO manager). Does anybody have any suggestions, at all?

(Please don't say Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge)

I need it to be robust as this is a business solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clayton

2. again: RS6000/220 ...

3. Help : ODBC Drivers and sample code for MS SQL Server 6+ on NT

4. FAT32 Support

5. MS SQL Server ODBC Driver for SCO Unix

6. booting single user or other trick to reset root password

7. Linux ODBC Driver To Access MS SQL Server.

8. links

9. ODBC driver manager with connection to MS SQL

10. are there ODBC drivers for linux to access MS SQL/Oracle

11. ODBC connect to MS SQL Server from Red Hat?

12. ODBC access from linux to MS SQL-Server

13. ODBC Connection to MS-SQL Server