bpf and pcap on FreeBSD - usage? HELP!

Post by Vladimir Taeero » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is here anyone who knows exactly how to write programs for capturing packets
on FreeBSD using bpf pseudo-device and pcap library?

thanx in advance for help

bpf and pcap on FreeBSD - usage? HELP!

Post by pwaecht.. » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Previously, Vladimir Taeerov wrote in comp.unix.programmer:

Quote:> Is here anyone who knows exactly how to write programs for capturing packets
> on FreeBSD using bpf pseudo-device and pcap library?

Have a look at the source of "tcpdump".
Ask archie where to find near you.

Post by Andrew Chalupk » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is here anyone who knows exactly how to write programs for capturing packets
> on FreeBSD using bpf pseudo-device and pcap library?

> thanx in advance for help

Yes.  I've done some bpf/pcap library hacking.  I learned everything I
needed to know from the Stevens book "Unix Network Programming" vol 1
2nd edition.  Specifically chapter 26, where he goes through a fairly
thorough example.

Andrew
--
e-mail: andcha at nortelnetworks dot com