Memory Available to a C Program

Post by x » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know which kernel parameter determines how much data
memory is available to a C program on HP-UX 10.01?

We have a program that mallocs memory and is currently exceeding
the maximum.  The program will eventually be used to convert data
from one system to another, so it will only be run one time.  Is it
possible to temporarily increase the amount of memory available to
the program?  Overall RAM should not be a problem as the program
will be running on an HP T520 with 2gig of RAM.

Post by Nathan Neuling » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

| Does anyone know which kernel parameter determines how much data
| memory is available to a C program on HP-UX 10.01?
|
| We have a program that mallocs memory and is currently exceeding
| the maximum.  The program will eventually be used to convert data
| from one system to another, so it will only be run one time.  Is it
| possible to temporarily increase the amount of memory available to
| the program?  Overall RAM should not be a problem as the program
| will be running on an HP T520 with 2gig of RAM.

You need to adjust kernel parameters with SAM if you are running into
run-time limits on memory usage by a process.

Increasing the max stack and data segment sizes should help.

Often they are limited by default to like 16 megs.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla

WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org