1. Telnet negotiation - Not a defect: a feature!
Well, the good old saying "We're IBM; we don't have to!" has finally
come up and bit me. In the TCP/IP documentation for AIX 2.2.1, the
telnet and telnetd sections explain that telnet on the RT handles
terminal negotiation. But any time I log in over telnet, my terminal
type gets set to whatever is in /etc/ports. I call IBM defect support
who quickly explain to me that this is not a defect, but in fact a
feature!!!! Geez, just what I always wanted. According to them, telnet
does in fact do terminal negotiation; it's just that /bin/login stomps
over the terminal type and makes it whatever is in /etc/ports. And
defect support says that, because it was designed to work that way,
changing would be a "design change" and not a "corrective service."
Some days are just not as funny as others.
So, here is my question: Can someone there in IBM-land who might be
working for the TCP/IP group write a little piece of code so that
terminal negotiation can be done after /bin/login has finished its
dirty work? That is, I would like a little program that sends the
IAC DO TERMINAL-TYPE and gets the response back that I can put in
/etc/environment or /etc/profile. I have given up on the idea of
getting this to work to spec (I don't care whether defect support
believes it does; it's not working the way it ought to, even though
it works the way it is supposed to). I just want something that does
the job. I don't even know if you can do terminal negotiation this
late in the game; maybe setting an environmet variable like NETTERM.
Alternatively, does someone know how I can do this through official
channels. No offense, but I do not have a great deal of faith going
through the front lines of the office here in Champaign; I will be
gone by the time a real design change goes through.
Thanks for any help.
Pete Resnick (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
System manager - Cognitive Science Group, Beckman Institute, UIUC
2. will DVD/CD-ROM on internal Ultra 60 SCSI bus slow down disks?
3. Telnet option negotiation
4. Is it possible to mount a PC disk in a NFS file system ?
5. Telnet Option Negotiation
6. Napster ports and IPCHAINS
7. TELNET Option Negotiation PROBLEM !!!
8. Help: Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16
9. TELNET negotiation pseudocode algorithm wanted
10. Telnet Option Negotiation
11. Quality PC Software [telnet negotiation]
12. simplest "telnet-like" unix port, sans negotiation?
13. How can I suppress the negotiations between the telnet server and the client?