Telnet Negotiation @ Pathway API

Post by Mischa Simmon » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I am using Wollongong's Pathway API to develop a Telnet application in Borland's Turbo Vision. Have developed
to an AT&T machine and everything works well. Use sample code from API called "ECHOCLI.EXE" as a template
for my code.

When I run the same application on a SCO UNIX site I am able to open sockets etc. correctly but consistantly get
12 bites of data from the Telnet deamon on SCO server...and then no more communication is possible.

Data is:  FF FD 18 FF FD 20 FF FD 23 FF FD 24

Have looked at RFC files on Telnet Negotiation and that could have something to do with it... but I am confused

Post by Sam Y » Thu, 29 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:mischa (Mischa Simmonds) writes:
>When I run the same application on a SCO UNIX site I am able to open sockets etc. correctly but consistantly get
>12 bites of data from the Telnet deamon on SCO server...and then no more communication is possible.
>Data is:  FF FD 18 FF FD 20 FF FD 23 FF FD 24

The sequence in "english":
IAC DO TTYPE
IAC DO TSPEED
IAC DO XDISPLOC
IAC DO ENVIRON

You probably have to respond to some of these in order for the
host to send more stuff.  What I would do is send
IAC WILL TTYPE    (FF FB 18)
IAC WILL TSPEED   (FF FB 20)
IAC WONT XDISPLOC (FF FC 23)
IAC WONT ENVIRON  (FF FC 24)

X DISPlay LOCation and ENVIRONment variables are generally not important.
The host will later ask you for the Terminal TYPE and Terminal SPEED.
Read the RFCs carefully to avoid further lockups.

-sam

1. Telnet negotiation - Not a defect: a feature!

Well, the good old saying "We're IBM; we don't have to!" has finally
come up and bit me. In the TCP/IP documentation for AIX 2.2.1, the
telnet and telnetd sections explain that telnet on the RT handles
terminal negotiation. But any time I log in over telnet, my terminal
type gets set to whatever is in /etc/ports. I call IBM defect support
who quickly explain to me that this is not a defect, but in fact a
feature!!!! Geez, just what I always wanted. According to them, telnet
does in fact do terminal negotiation; it's just that /bin/login stomps
over the terminal type and makes it whatever is in /etc/ports. And
defect support says that, because it was designed to work that way,
changing would be a "design change" and not a "corrective service."

Some days are just not as funny as others.

So, here is my question: Can someone there in IBM-land who might be
working for the TCP/IP group write a little piece of code so that
terminal negotiation can be done after /bin/login has finished its
dirty work? That is, I would like a little program that sends the
IAC DO TERMINAL-TYPE and gets the response back that I can put in
/etc/environment or /etc/profile. I have given up on the idea of
getting this to work to spec (I don't care whether defect support
believes it does; it's not working the way it ought to, even though
it works the way it is supposed to). I just want something that does
the job. I don't even know if you can do terminal negotiation this
late in the game; maybe setting an environmet variable like NETTERM.
Anything.

Alternatively, does someone know how I can do this through official
channels. No offense, but I do not have a great deal of faith going
through the front lines of the office here in Champaign; I will be
gone by the time a real design change goes through.

Thanks for any help.
pr

--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

2. will DVD/CD-ROM on internal Ultra 60 SCSI bus slow down disks?

3. Telnet option negotiation

4. Is it possible to mount a PC disk in a NFS file system ?

5. Telnet Option Negotiation

6. Napster ports and IPCHAINS

7. TELNET Option Negotiation PROBLEM !!!

8. Help: Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16

9. TELNET negotiation pseudocode algorithm wanted

10. Telnet Option Negotiation

11. Quality PC Software [telnet negotiation]

12. simplest "telnet-like" unix port, sans negotiation?

13. How can I suppress the negotiations between the telnet server and the client?