COFF Subroutines in C ?

Post by Guy Harr » Sat, 23 Nov 1991 03:53:35

Quote:>GNU's not UNIX.  I think there's a list available in the
>folklore group of other things that's not UNIX, too.  Several
>hundred of them.  A goodly number of which, I've no doubt,
>use COFF from time to time.

In fact, I've gotten the impression that COFF originated as an object
file format for a bunch of cross-compilers that *ran* under UNIX, but
produced code for other systems (probably embedded systems inside phone
switches and the like).

*Still* doesn't mean that "comp.lang.c" was the best group in which to
ask the question, though.  The chances are excellent that you'd find
more people who *would* know the answer to the question, and fewer who
wouldn't, if it's asked in a UNIX-specific group.  (Anyone who disputes
the above should either:

        1) explain why it's better to ask in "alt.sex" than in
           "comp.lang.c" whether lambskin or**s offer
           better protection against STDs, and then explain why that
           argument doesn't apply in this case;

or

        2) explain why it's just as good to ask in "comp.lang.c" as in
           "alt.sex"....)

1. R4/PowerTowerPro225/installer.coff..coff..cofff...hak!

Hi folks,

I just received my R4 CD in the mail (hey, it only took 6 weeks, but at
least its here :o) )...

In a nut shell I can't get it to install on my Power Tower Pro 225 (IMS
4MB).

With bootvars (1.3) I setup the boot-device to be fd:installer.coff,
input-device=kbd, output-device=screen, click write and save, then yes,
machine reboots OF kicks in - Happiness and joy? _erm_ sorta...

I've hooked a console up to modem port and can see what going on during
the boot process, and here's what happens;

- OF finds the installer.coff image on fd - this is good.
- installer.coff image loads and  then bombs when it comes to sending a

(oh yeah, its seems to have correctly identified the IMS/4MB card ok).

...no problem I say to myself, I'll change the out-device to be ttya,
keep the input-device as kbd and proceed from there.

[PRAM is Zapped]

MacOS is once again lives, bootvars are open and being played with to
meet the aforementioned params, write & reboot, yes, machines reboots,
OF kicks in - Happiness and Joy? _erm_ no :o (

- just as before, output-device reverts to  'screen' ! ..what's up with
that??

Consequently boot process hangs in the same place.  Either  Bootvars is
on krack and not saving params the way it should, or I've got a
installer.coff image with a "I want my environment this way or else"
personality.

[PRAM is Zapped once again] - > MacOS

Bootvars - > autoboot disabled,  W&S, Y, machines reboots OF prompt
appears.

manually;

input-device kbd
OK
output-device ttya
OK
 :o )   (no it didn't smile).

boot fd:installer.coff

Same results as before!! ...OF boot params are being ignored or
overwritten by the installer.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar issues to this? ...if so
how did you get around it?

I've tried passing different vmode params with Bootvars but they to are
ignored.

Thanks in advance,

Mike :o)

"Reality creates virtual existence...
virtual existence in itself becomes a reality".

2. top prb

3. vmlinux.coff / installer.coff?

4. biff needed

5. COFF is not IBCS (or why won't my COFF executables run)

6. This Is Badass!!!!!!

7. passwdexpire subroutine

8. X on PCD-5ND-Laptop?

9. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

12. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

13. csh and user functions or subroutines