Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Post by Dhananjay Shend » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

            I am making an application in which I need to have a menu
driven interface.I am using Sun Solaris
OS.Also I do not want to use X-Windows to make the menu Interface.My
idea is to have menu interface which
is text based (like we have in MS-DOS env. by accessing the video
memory).Is it possible to access video mem. in UNIX systems ?? And if it
is not possible then how can I make text based menu driven interface ??

To Summarise : 1) I want to know how the attributes of the text to be
displayed can be changed ??
                           2) How to access the info. written to the
screen (so that when a diplayed menu in closed
                                the original contents of the screen can
be restored.)

Thanks in advance.Please reply ASAP.

Dhananjay Shende.

Post by Jochen K"upp » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>             I am making an application in which I need to have a menu
> driven interface.I am using Sun Solaris
> OS.Also I do not want to use X-Windows to make the menu Interface.My
> idea is to have menu interface which
> is text based (like we have in MS-DOS env. by accessing the video
> memory).Is it possible to access video mem. in UNIX systems ?? And if it
> is not possible then how can I make text based menu driven interface ??

ncurses library ?

Greetings,
Jochen
  Jochen K"upper

  Institut f"ur Physikalische Chemie I
  Universit"atsstr. 1, Geb 26.43 Raum 02.29    phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 D"usseldorf                            fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen

Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Post by David Mean » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Get the book titled: lex & yacc.  A 'NutShell' book published by
O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.  There is a Menu Generation Language
example therein.

Conversely, you may obtain the source code via ftp at ftp.uu.net. Look
in published/oreilly/nutshell/lexyacc. Filename is progs.tar.Z.

Check it out, looking doesn't hurt.

Enjoy,

David

Post by Klaus Schillin » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >             I am making an application in which I need to have a menu
> > driven interface.I am using Sun Solaris
> > OS.Also I do not want to use X-Windows to make the menu Interface.My
> > idea is to have menu interface which
> > is text based (like we have in MS-DOS env. by accessing the video
> > memory).Is it possible to access video mem. in UNIX systems ?? And if it
> > is not possible then how can I make text based menu driven interface ??

> ncurses library ?

On linux it is possible to access the console video memory directly, but by
no means recommendable, for it requires write access to a /dev file, which
is a security risk, and the programs are highly unportable, and they can only
be run locally, not in an xterm-shell, telnet session , serial terminal or
terminal emulation (telix et al.).

Ncurses is slower, but much better and more comfortable. One may also use
SLang or termcap and termios.  There are libraries based on ncurses (cdialog,
cdk, libXterminal) and slang (newt) which provide ready-to-use menu widgets.
Some of them are available on ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/libs/ui .

Klaus Schilling

Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Post by Klaus Schillin » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Get the book titled: lex & yacc.  A 'NutShell' book published by
> O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.  There is a Menu Generation Language
> example therein.

MGL as in that book doesn't provide navigable menus, pulldowns, check-
or radiolists or the like.

Klaus Schilling

Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Post by satish » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
    You will need to use the curses library for the interface...
man curses
Have u used talk command in unix .. it's the curses screen .
In it u can create the screens , hide them , get input on specific
screens....
and it's all will be in the VT100 TERM not any X-sort of app.

Hope this helps..
Satish/

--
:--------------------------------------------:
   Who am I to know ? = Who am I to live ?

Satish K. Pagare,
Visit me : http://satish.cjb.net
Software Engineer.
INFORMIX India Development Center, Tel:829 04 02 (extn. 203).
ICIL, Unit No:26, SDF-I, SEEPZ, Andheri(E), Mumbai - 400 096, INDIA.

1. Reg. Making Menu Driven programs in UNIX environment

Hello,

            I am making an application in which I need to have a menu
driven interface.I am using Sun Solaris
OS.Also I do not want to use X-Windows to make the menu Interface.My
idea is to have menu interface which
is text based (like we have in MS-DOS env. by accessing the video
memory).Is it possible to access video
mem. in UNIX systems ?? And if it is not possible then how can I make
text based menu driven interface ??

To Summarise : 1) I want to know how the attributes of the text to be
displayed can be changed ??
                           2) How to access the info. written to the
screen (so that when a diplayed menu in closed
                                the original contents of the screen can
be restored.)

Thanks in advance.Please reply ASAP.

Dhananjay Shende

2. Need help with DNS -> ftp,telnet,etc not using

3. pick script in The UNIX Programming Environment (The UNIX Programming Environment )

4. Internet Configuation

5. Looking for a Menu Making Program

6. Solaris 2.5 Boot Disk for Sparc

7. Menu driven (arrow key) csh program..???

8. Motherboard recommends

9. Need some advice on menu-driven shell programming, Thanks!

10. 3-D menu-driven ploting program for Linux

11. Unix Shell Menu Program

12. Unix Menu Program

13. REQUEST: Unix Menu Program