how to detect workspace switch?

Post by gden » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:12:18

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Does anybody know how to detect workspace switch?

Generally there are several workspaces on UNIX/LINUX screen? I want that
my program can detect when I switch from workspace1 to workspace2.

Thanks in advance
George

Post by Chuck Dillo » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:11:14

> Ladies and Gentlemen,

> Does anybody know how to detect workspace switch?

> Generally there are several workspaces on UNIX/LINUX screen? I want that
> my program can detect when I switch from workspace1 to workspace2.

The concept of a workspace exists solely in the window manager (WM),
like the concept of fullscreen.  IOW, non-standard.  Only the WM knows
what window is in what workspace(s).  Your window could be in more than
one you know.

I suggest you study the doc for whatever WM(s) you are using and see if
they will support this.  My guess is that you will need to monitor WM
specific properties on your windows and react to changes that the WM
makes to them.  Which properties and how to interpret them will be WM
specific.

You might want to ask in forums specific to the WM (e.g. comp.unix.cde)
and/or the comp.windows.x* groups.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon