C / C++ communication libraries

Post by Michael Ransbu » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm looking for (a) page(s) which give me a good overview of the freely
availalbe linux c / c++ libraries. There is a "available c++ libraries"
faq, but unfortunately much of these libraries are for windows only. I'm
specially interested in ftp, telnet, http ... libraries as I do a lot of
network programming, but a general overview would be nice too.

Thanks for your attention.

cheers
mike
--
Curious? Look at http://daneel.tsx.org

Post by Lew Pitche » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hello!

> I'm looking for (a) page(s) which give me a good overview of the freely
> availalbe linux c / c++ libraries. There is a "available c++ libraries"
> faq, but unfortunately much of these libraries are for windows only. I'm
> specially interested in ftp, telnet, http ... libraries as I do a lot of
> network programming, but a general overview would be nice too.

> Thanks for your attention.

Try http://www.w3c.org/Library/

They (The World Wide Web Consortium) have a libwww library
which implements the protocols for a variety of TCP/IP
applications. To quote their page...

         Libwww is a highly modular, general-purpose client side Web API written in C
        for Unix and Windows (Win32). It's well suited for both small and large
applications,
        like browser/editors, robots, batch tools, etc. Pluggable modules provided with
libwww
        include complete HTTP/1.1 (with caching, pipelining, PUT, POST, Digest
Authentication,
        deflate, etc), MySQL logging, FTP, HTML/4, XML (expat), RDF (SiRPAC), and much
more.
        The purpose of libwww is to serve as a testbed for protocol experiments.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

Post by Michael Ransbu » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Try http://www.w3c.org/Library/

>They (The World Wide Web Consortium) have a libwww library
>which implements the protocols for a variety of TCP/IP
>applications. To quote their page...

Sounds very interesting, I'll work through the documentation. So, libwww
is the library you use if you write programs which communicate with
different internet servers (http, ftp...). Or do you prefer coding
everything from the bottom up without using any libraries?

I'd be interested in some of your opinions. What do _you_ use to accomply
such tasks? Any comments acout the usability of the libwww would be highly
appreciated too :)

thanks
mike
--