Q on FTP & Time Stamp

Post by A » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 03:49:32

Hi All

I have to ftp old files between two Win2K boxes running under Unix
Bash emulator on the same US central time. I'd like to keep the exact
old dates & times of the files after FTP. What should I do?
Thanks!

Q on FTP & Time Stamp

Post by Frank da Cr » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 03:51:59

: I have to ftp old files between two Win2K boxes running under Unix
: Bash emulator on the same US central time. I'd like to keep the exact
: old dates & times of the files after FTP. What should I do?
:
Some FTP clients, like the new Kermit ones:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

can preserve server timestamps when downloading.  Of course you could
also use Kermit protocol directly, instead of FTP -- it preserves
timestamps too, and does so for both uploading and downloading.

- Frank

Q on FTP & Time Stamp

Post by E. Gibbo » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 05:57:21

>Hi All

>I have to ftp old files between two Win2K boxes running under Unix
>Bash emulator on the same US central time. I'd like to keep the exact
>old dates & times of the files after FTP. What should I do?
>Thanks!

Since you have bash, maybe you have tar (and perhaps gzip) too?
If so, I'd consider bundling up the files into a tarball first;
you can then use options of tar to control how dates are preserved.

You might be able to do this with "PKZIP", "WinZip", etc., too.

Presumably, you are doing this on an isolated internal network,
or you have some other reason to not be concerned about the security
dangers of ftp.  Otherwise, I'd suggest that you use "scp" (file copy
built on "ssh") instead.  Not that you asked.

--Ben