Using VTxxx graphics via curses

Post by John Vestbe » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 04:48:05

Hi! I'm programming a menusystem, and I would like it to
use the VTxxx graphic characters for drawing frames.

The problem is, how do I combine graphic characters and
curses?

I tried just to insert a printw("<ESC>(0"); before
writing anything, and then continue by writing
the frame characters. That method works fine
until curses makes a refresh, and that
is quite often!

So, is there some curses attribute I can use, or is there some other
ways getting around this problem?

John Vestberg
Kopekv. 17
890 23 SJALEVAD

Post by Mike Meredi » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 00:24:13

: Hi! I'm programming a menusystem, and I would like it to
: use the VTxxx graphic characters for drawing frames.

: The problem is, how do I combine graphic characters and
: curses?

[deleted]

: So, is there some curses attribute I can use, or is there some other
: ways getting around this problem?

yes, there is a curses attribute that you use - A_ALTCHARSET, as in
attron(A_ALTCHARSET), and then you can use the ACS_VLINE, ... macros for
printing. it should all be in the curses manual page (somewhere).

1. Using VT100 graphics characters with curses

I am posting this for a friend of mine, who doesn't have access to

    I am using Curses, in a C program on a BSD 4.3 Unix machine. I
would like to use the VT100 graphics characters on the screen. Is
there a better method than using printf() to write the "enter graphics
character set mode" escape sequence to the terminal, and then using
regular curses to print whatever characters I want? I would rather not
mix printf()s with curses commands. For example, maybe it's possible to
change the characters curses uses to make StandOut mode to be the
begin and end graphics mode escape sequences, and then just use
standout mode for the characters I want to be graphics. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

2. Apache Server & PERL

3. Graphics chars using curses

4. BOOTP & diskless

5. Can I write curses-like application without using <curses.h>?

6. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 5625158113

7. curses curses curses

8. SCO OSE5 & firewall

9. which "graphics" lib used is used in rh install prog

10. 3270s to Unix via curses

11. system()'ing a curses app from a curses app

12. Curses?. . .Curses!

13. Mini-curses (or many curses?)