I am new to Unix

Post by webwork » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT duties.
Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should mention this- I
am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by visuals, and by "doing."
Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

WebWorks

I am new to Unix

Post by cLIeNUX us » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT duties.
>Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should mention this- I
>am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by visuals, and by "doing."
>Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

You're doomed.

Quote:>WebWorks

I am new to Unix

Post by mu.. » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
> My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT duties.
> Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should mention this- I
> am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by visuals, and by "doing."
> Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

If you don't read manuals you'd be better off getting a new job.

I am new to Unix

Post by David Hasset » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT duties.
> Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should mention this- I
> am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by visuals, and by "doing."
> Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

Simple. You need to become the "type who reads manuals". In the world of
unix newsgroups, not reading manuals is likely just to get you sarcastic
and unhelpful responses or replies consisting solely of the letters -
"RTFM". Try:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.unix.questions.html

Or at the shell prompt (equivalent to C:\> in DOS), type the following
commands for the unix manual pages on what I would consider the most
fundamental unix commands. Manual pages are you friend. They are THE
most valuable resource you can possibly ask for when you want to learn
unix. There are no shortcuts except to dive in and read them (even if
you just glance over them at first).

man man
man bash
man ksh
man sh
man ls
man cp
man mv
man rm
man find
man grep

Once these have been looked into for serveral hours, then, and only
then, I would encourge you to get stuck in and have a go at "doing"
something. :-)

Cheers,

Dave. :-)

I am new to Unix

Post by Floyd Davidso » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> Hello,

>> My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT duties.
>> Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should mention this- I
>> am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by visuals, and by "doing."
>> Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

>If you don't read manuals you'd be better off getting a new job.

Let me expand on that just a little.  If webworks just does not
like reading manuals at all, the new job advice is excellant.
There is no hope at all for a unix sysadmin who is not at home
with constantly researching manuals.  (And indeed, typically
they are the type of people who read tech manuals for
entertainment too, just looking for fun and interesting things
they never noticed before.)

If webworks actually meant he/she doesn't mind reading manuals,
but it just doesn't do the trick as far as learning, and that
he/she then needs to try it in order to understand fully and
retain the skills learned, then there is hope.

If that is the case, perhaps the best way to learn is to have a
"test" box that you can abuse with newbie ideas that crash
everything.  You certainly do not want to learn about disk
partitioning by practicing on the company's database server!  If
the company has only one unix box, they need to buy a second one
for the admin to use as a testbed.

One idea that helps is to have a box at home that is similar to
what you are admin'ing at work.  There are advantages and
disadvantages though.  The inbred nature of working only with
one system leads to thinking there is only one "right" way for
many things that are actually done a variety of ways on
different platforms.  That is particularly easy for a
hands-on/visual learner to misjudge.  The solution to that is to
use a different unix platform at home, just to provide that
variety.  (Of course if you use 2 or 3 different platforms at
work, there is no difficulty at all!)

If that all sounds like an exciting adventure, then that might
be the right job after all.  If it sounds like something far too
complex to even contemplate, then there are better employment
opportunities.

  floyd

--

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

I am new to Unix

Post by Ed L Cashi » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> My new job requires that I learn UNIX and also some Microsoft IT
> duties.  Where are some of the best sources where I can go? I should
> mention this- I am not the type who reads manuals; I learn more by
> visuals, and by "doing."  Anybody, please make a suggestion or two!

Two suggestions: Change your attitude and read the manual.  The latter
is such important advice that RTFM is a well-known abbreviation for
"read the fargin manual".

Unless you have someone who is willing to spoon feed you, you will
have to read.  Reading is a fine way to acquire knowledge, and since
UNIX is so open-ended, one thing you'll need is to acquire a lot of
knowledge.

Lots of companies for the past few years have been getting rich off
the myth that "visual" means that you avoid having to read, but I'm
dubious.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:

I am new to Unix

Post by Cassidy Meye » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Unfortunately it does'nt work that way. You'll have to be able to do both to
attain some level of competency. Unix resources apart from your systems man
pages, are scattered widely over the web. Most of them are excellent and
quite easy to find with your favorite search engine.

Good luck.

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

I am new to Unix