analysing others' binaries

Post by Andrew Giert » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[misspelled newsgroup name corrected - it's "comp.unix.programmer"]

 Iain> I'd hoped to find something like this at http://www.whitefang.com/unix/
 Iain> (the FAQ I've seen mentioned here) but no such luck...

Doesn't seem to have been asked much before....

 Iain> I've got to support some parts of a complex software package.  Some of
 Iain> it is really crappy.  I'd like to figure out which programs call which
 Iain> other programs so that I can replace just the scheduler functionality.

 Iain> Is there a simple way to check what system() calls are being made?
 Iain> Using gdb or dbx?  With wrapper scripts?

What you're looking for, really, is exec..() calls - system() is implemented
using fork() + exec..().

On most platforms you should be able to get the information you seek
using any or all of the following:

  - system call tracing (ktrace, sctrace, truss, etc.)

  - process accounting

  - system auditing

Details vary between systems.

--
Andrew.

analysing others' binaries

Post by Zachary Ura » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>   - system call tracing (ktrace, sctrace, truss, etc.)

>   - process accounting

>   - system auditing

> Details vary between systems.

Yes on some systems the trace program is called ptrace.

Regards,
Zach

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have faith." - John 20:29

1. analysing others' binaries

I'd hoped to find something like this at http://www.whitefang.com/unix/
(the FAQ I've seen mentioned here) but no such luck...

I've got to support some parts of a complex software package.  Some of
it is really crappy.  I'd like to figure out which programs call which
other programs so that I can replace just the scheduler functionality.

Is there a simple way to check what system() calls are being made?
Using gdb or dbx?  With wrapper scripts?

If they've instrumented their binaries, is there a way to detect and
take advantage of it?

Any other tips on embarking on this kind of exploration?

Please follow up to comp.unix.programmers only.

Thanks!

- Iain
--

2. RAID restriping

3. installing 'collect', 'analyze' tools without complete Compiler set

4. Microsoft SQL server 7

5. 'talk' can't connect to others on the net

6. Xfree 3.1 vs 2.1

7. analyzing 'core' file, how ?

8. Where's the driver for NE2000 cards?

9. MkLinux -- what about AIX binaries? others?

10. Creating and testing binaries for others Unices

11. gcc2.1 binary size question... a couple of others.begin.guide

12. SUID 'OTHERS'

13. D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'