How to start FTP service on my unix box......

How to start FTP service on my unix box......

Post by Prakash He » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:02:46

Hi Guys,

I can connect ftp from my unix machine but from other machines when i
try to ftp to my machine it fails with message 'connection refuses'

I am new to unix and don't know how to enable FTP service on a fresh
installed box. I am having root login to do my job.

Appriciate if anybody point me a link if installation required for
FTP, or thwe process to enable??

Thanks in advance..
Prakash

How to start FTP service on my unix box......

Post by David Schwart » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:47:14

Quote:> Hi Guys,

> I can connect ftp from my unix machine but from other machines when i
> try to ftp to my machine it fails with message 'connection refuses'

> I am new to unix and don't know how to enable FTP service on a fresh
> installed box. I am having root login to do my job.

> Appriciate if anybody point me a link if installation required for
> FTP, or thwe process to enable??

    There is no one way to do this. It will depend upon your platform and,
in some cases, distribution. It could also depend upon exactly what startup
scripts you have installed.

    DS

Post by Chuck Dillo » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:53:18

> Hi Guys,

> I can connect ftp from my unix machine but from other machines when i
> try to ftp to my machine it fails with message 'connection refuses'

> I am new to unix and don't know how to enable FTP service on a fresh
> installed box. I am having root login to do my job.

> Appriciate if anybody point me a link if installation required for
> FTP, or thwe process to enable??

First, this is off topic in c.u.p.  Second it depends on the flavor or
UNIX or Linux or whatever you have running.

Generally speaking you want to modify inetd.conf or xinted.conf on
Linux.  See the inetd.conf and inetd manpages (xinetd on Linux).  You
OS might have an administrative tool to use for this.  For example on
AIX it's best to use smit (I think that's what it's called.).

If this doesn't provide you with enough information I suggest you ask
in either comp.unix.admin or better a forum specific to the OS/Vendor
you are dealing with.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer

How to start FTP service on my unix box......

Post by RSmith65 » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:12:07

If the machine can FTP itself, but no other machines can FTP to it, then it's
probably either the firewall (if the connection refused comes up fast) or
tcp_wrappers ( if it takes a few seconds for the refused to come up).

Roger