Broadcast Sockets, copy one file to n machines???

Broadcast Sockets, copy one file to n machines???

Post by Chris Sherm » Fri, 03 Jul 1992 03:15:03

I have the following problem:

I need to send one really large file, once, across the network to maybe a
hundred other machines which are in the same domain.  The reason for this
is speed, of course.  (One slightly slower transfer will be faster than
100+ quick ones).

Several problems with this pop up immediately:

1)  How do you guarantee reliable, in order, delivery?  (Since I'll probably
    need to use dgram type sockets).

2)  What protocol should I use for resending packets that a client machine
    missed (for whatever reason) that would work in this instance?

3)  And other problems like this which I'm sure to encounter...

Has anyone seen any free programs that do something like this?  Or
does anyone of any suggestions?  (I can do minor sockets, but you
normally don't see examples in the books that do something like this, or
do you?)

Thanx!!!!
--
     ____/     /     /     __  /    _  _/    ____/
    /         /     /     /   /      /     /          Chris Sherman

Post by Thaddeus P. Flory » Fri, 03 Jul 1992 16:13:14

|I have the following problem:
|
|I need to send one really large file, once, across the network to maybe a
|hundred other machines which are in the same domain.  The reason for this
|is speed, of course.  (One slightly slower transfer will be faster than
|100+ quick ones).
|
|Several problems with this pop up immediately:
|
|1)  How do you guarantee reliable, in order, delivery?  (Since I'll probably
|    need to use dgram type sockets).
|
|2)  What protocol should I use for resending packets that a client machine
|    missed (for whatever reason) that would work in this instance?
|
|3)  And other problems like this which I'm sure to encounter...
|

|Has anyone seen any free programs that do something like this?  Or
|does anyone of any suggestions?  (I can do minor sockets, but you
|normally don't see examples in the books that do something like this, or
|do you?)

See RFC1235, "The Coherent File Distribution Protocol".  It describes a
technique (mostly) applicable to your requirement.

The "reference" CFDP server and clients are available for anonymous ftp
at cs.columbia.edu [128.59.16.20] in the pub/cfdp directory.