Good Debugger (Workshop)

Post by Christian Nels » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 11:07:32

At work we use SGI Indigos for development and they all have CVD, the
workshop de*, installed.  I think this has to be the best (by
far) de* I've ever used.  Are there any non-commercial de*s
in the same league as this one?  I would love to get something better
than gdb for home (I run Linux on a PC)...

Thanks,
-Christian

Christian 'shrub' Nelson  | Computer Scientist (ie: geek)

1. dbx - Workshop 5.0 debugger and STL vectors

Am I the only which can't get the workshop 5.0 debugger dbx to
understand
vectors ? Or do some one share my headache ? If so, somebody might even
know a workaround - please enlighten me.

The dbx seem to core dump when I ask it to display vector related
variables

Example:
Small test example just exercising a vector of int's:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <vector>

using std::vector;

int main (void)
{
  vector<int> vi;

  vi.push_back(117);
  vi.push_back(1);
  vi.push_back(2);
  vi.push_back(3);

  int i;
  for(i=0; i<5; i++) {
    printf("%d %d\n", i, vi[i]);
  }
  printf("Size is now:%d\n", vi.size());
  printf("maxsize is now:%d\n", vi.max_size());
  printf("empty is now:%s\n", (vi.empty()?"true":"false"));
  printf("capacity is now:%d\n", vi.capacity());

Compile with -g and run in the debugger.

Then try to 'Evaluate' or 'Display'  an element in the vector as
vi[1]

or ask on a vector atribute as:
vi.size()

in both cases I experience the sudden death of hte debugger and a dialog
stating:
"Dbx has exited unexpectedly...." and an info in a file
/tmp/dbx-cmd-window.<processno> which do only tell me that:

dbx: internal error: signal SIGSEGV (no mapping at the fault address)
dbx's coredump will appear in /tmp

  law.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Potential Buyer asks about Linux

3. workshop debugger bug

4. SCO OpenServer + pppd + default route

5. Workshop debugger

6. gnomesupport.h

7. Problem launching Workshop debugger

8. free router made by freebsd?

9. Visual Workshop debugger won't start!

10. Sun Workshop 4.2 C++ Compiler - debug symbol format not understood by debuggers

11. Solaris Workshop/dbx/dbxtool debugger

12. Workshop Debugger without CDE?

13. Solaris debugger -- Workshop - "Could not open tooltalk channel"