[Fwd: group names]

Post by Nand » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:18:43 -0600
Subject: group names
Hi,

Is there a command(or combination of) that I could use to find out the
number of  groups and their names that exist on the machine??

Thanks in advance

Nanda

[Fwd: group names]

Post by Fletcher Glen » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Maybe.  It would be necessary to scan the /etc/passwd file
(and possibly niscat or ypcat passwd) to gather group ID
numbers.  These numbers can be looked up in /etc/group, but
I am not aware of any requirement that a group ID necessarily
has to be listed there or in any naming service in order to
be valid.  In other words: a group ID does not necessarily
have to be named.

--
                Fletcher Glenn

>     ---------------------------------------------------------------

> Subject: group names
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:18:43 -0600

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell

> Hi,

> Is there a command(or combination of) that I could use to find out the
> number of  groups and their names that exist on the machine??

> Thanks in advance

> Nanda

[Fwd: group names]

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Is there a command(or combination of) that I could use to find out the
>number of  groups and their names that exist on the machine??

Number of groups: wc -l /etc/group

Their names: cut -d: -f1 /etc/group

If you use NIS, you should pipe "ypcat group" to the wc and cut commands.

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

[Fwd: group names]

Post by Amit Sing » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Is there a command(or combination of) that I could use to find out the
> number of  groups and their names that exist on the machine??

> Thanks in advance

> Nanda

On systems that do not use NIS or any of its incarnations, the
command is cat (use cat /etc/group). On NIS*.* systems, use
"ypcat group".

Disclaimer: Speaking for myself, and only myself ... really.

[Fwd: group names]

Post by Knut Borg » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>Is there a command(or combination of) that I could use to find out the
>>number of  groups and their names that exist on the machine??

>Number of groups: wc -l /etc/group

>Their names: cut -d: -f1 /etc/group

Note that due to limitations on the number of characters in a single line
in /etc/group (or its NIS equivalent) you may have been forced to split
 these into several entries with the same GID. Ie, instead of

group:*:100:lots,and,lots,of,usernames  (typically > 1K characters)

in some circumstances you have to use:

group:*:100:lots,and,lots
group1:*:100:of,usernames

which will work fine, but if you really want an exact answer to the number
of groups on your system you have to take into account identical GIDs in the
group file/NIS map.

--
Knut Borge, Center for Information Technology Services

1. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. EZCam USB

3. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

4. tset fails to check personal termcap file

5. no subscribed groups in 'group.name'

6. mount ftp as local fs / nfs

7. change group id for all files of a given group name ?

8. Sun 386i (Road Runner) AT-bus - advice wanted

9. ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

10. [Fwd: Importet groups]

11. Fwd: 3ware user group

12. [Fwd: Multiple Passwords and groups]

13. 1 * ZvyDNvVDM-[Fwd: Importet groups]