multiple man pages and libraries for socket APIs

multiple man pages and libraries for socket APIs

Post by son.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 04:49:25

Hi :
I have been using Solaris 2.6 to do some socket programming. I saw that
most of the system calls like socket(), accept() etc. are listed in 2
man pages - sections 3xn and 3n.
 Section 3xn which requires -lxnet gives the comment ( at page
break ) "X/Open Networking Services Library Functions".
 Section 3n requires -lsocket -lnsl and gives the comment "Network
Functions"

I could not find any cross referrences. I m not sure which one I m
supposed to be using and what their differences/significances are.

Thanks a lot
Sony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Any library to turn HTML page to a man page format?

I would like to turn a HTML manual like
http://linux.ctyme.com/man/man0669.htm or
http://www.eecs.tulane.edu/www/graphics/doc/OpenGL-Man-Pages/glGetErr...
backup to unix man page format. Is there any tools for this task?
--

Carfield Yim, visit my homepage at http://www.carfield.com.hk

2. compose key in xfree86

3. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

4. swing for Java 1.1.6 or JDK 2.0

5. Apache API, man pages, Glue to NSAPI?

6. Linux Proxy Client

7. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

8. Upgrading kernel from 2.0 -> 2.2 broke PPP

9. what library is to be linked when using Socket api ??

10. Newbie Question about Libraries, Man pages, and Info

11. C library man pages

12. No "socket" command (but the man page exists).

13. ansi-c++ library man pages?