memory dump of running process

Post by Pawel Krzesnia » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:47:57

Hi,

Did anybody of you heard about program which allows to
dump all memory used by process and write it on the disk
and next allows to continue this process from state saved on disk?
This soft shold be working on solaris 2.7

Regards,

--
Pawel

Post by Artie Gol » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:58:07

> Hi,

> Did anybody of you heard about program which allows to
> dump all memory used by process and write it on the disk
> and next allows to continue this process from state saved on disk?
> This soft shold be working on solaris 2.7

Try a web search on `checkpointing' -- that should direct you to any
such code that exists.

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account for more info)

--
WWJP?

memory dump of running process

Post by Krishn » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 05:44:19

try "gcore" OR man -s 5 signal.

HTH
km

> Hi,

> Did anybody of you heard about program which allows to
> dump all memory used by process and write it on the disk
> and next allows to continue this process from state saved on disk?
> This soft shold be working on solaris 2.7

> Regards,

> --
> Pawel

memory dump of running process

Post by Pawel Krzesnia » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:01:47

Quote:> Try a web search on `checkpointing' -- that should direct you to any
> such code that exists.

Thank you very much. It's something I needed.

--
Pawel

memory dump of running process

... but to resume execution from a corefile?

Post by markku laukkane » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:34:32

> ... but to resume execution from a corefile?

Just look for emacs source code..

    PKY

1. Memory dump of running process (without killing it)

I've started this mathematical search program on my Linux box to
search for the sum of 3 perfect 4th powers to equal a perfect 4th
power.  With the upper limit I gave the program, I estimate that if it
doesn't find a case, it will be executing for at least a month.  (I
wasn't thinking about that when I started the program.)

A new version of my program will use signals so I can query how far it
has gotten, and save where it's at on a TERM signal, so it can pick up
where it left off.

I'm wondering if there is any way I can figure out how far my program
has gotten?  It doesn't have any symbolic debugging information in it
(wanted it to be fast y'know), but I'm thinking that if I can get
several instances of the contents of the running program's memory to
disk, I can use some kind of binary diff utility to locate the few
variables which are being updated.

Any clues?  I've had this program running for eleven days now, I'd
hate to have it all for naught ...

BTW, 30^4 + 120^4 + 272^4 + 315^4 = 353^4.

--

| 850 21st Ave SE     |-----------------------| Only unbalanced people       |
| Mpls MN  55414-2514 |                       |        can tip the scales... |

2. xine video jumpy

3. Dumping memory of a running process?

4. dialup to Net Connect

5. question about process memory usage and process memory limits

6. Looking for references for serial communications programming

7. Determine process memory usage from crash dumps in solaris

8. Help Solaris and Cannon printer

9. process memory dump

10. Can Linux dump an process's memory image into a file?

11. how to dump core on a running process?

12. take core dump from gdb of running process?