RPC descriptions RFC1014 and RFC1057 still up to date ?

RPC descriptions RFC1014 and RFC1057 still up to date ?

Post by Ernst Kloeck » Wed, 30 Dec 1992 22:06:33

Hi,

I am new to RPC programming and I am using the RFC1044 (XDR) and RFC1057
(RPC) as documentation. Those RFC's were written in 1987 and 1988.
So I am wondering wether they are still valid ?

Apart from that, can anybody recommend other documentation for RPC and
XDR ? I had a look at Stevens' Network book, but he only gives a short
overview.

Thanks for any info, Ernst.

RPC descriptions RFC1014 and RFC1057 still up to date ?

Post by Fletcher Kittred » Wed, 30 Dec 1992 17:47:20

Quote:>Apart from that, can anybody recommend other documentation for RPC and
>XDR ? I had a look at Stevens' Network book, but he only gives a short
>overview.

Try one of these three depending on your tastes:

The Art of Distributed Applications
John R. Corbin
ISBN 0-387-97247-1

This book focuses entirely on developing Sun RPC (and XDR) based
applications.  It is a good book if you already have a sense of what
Sun RPC is about, and are just looking for a high quality, detailed
reference manual.

Guide to Writing DCE Applications
John Shirley
ISBN 1-56592-004-X

Which focuses entirely on developing DCE RPC based applications.

Note that the titles for both of these books are misleading.  The
Corbin book only discusses the art of Sun RPC based distributed
applications, not distributed applications in general.  The Shirley
book only discusses the RPC portion of the DCE.  It doesn't, for
example, discuss writing servers using DCS threads.

Likewise, the RPC in the following book refers to only Sun RPC:

Power Programming with RPC
John Bloomer
O'Reilly & Associates
ISBN 0-937175-77-3

is exactly what one would expect from a O'Reilly book. Despite its
completeness and level of detail, this voluminous book (453 pages) is
well organized, well written and printed and bound to last for at
least six months of careful use ;-).  Bloomer's book covers much more
territory than Corbin's.

regards,
fletcher
--
/* Fletcher Kittredge
 * BBN Software Products

 */

Post by seren » Thu, 14 Jan 1993 02:45:10

>Hi,

>I am new to RPC programming and I am using the RFC1044 (XDR) and RFC1057
>(RPC) as documentation. Those RFC's were written in 1987 and 1988.
>So I am wondering wether they are still valid ?

>Apart from that, can anybody recommend other documentation for RPC and
>XDR ? I had a look at Stevens' Network book, but he only gives a short
>overview.

>Thanks for any info, Ernst.
>--

If your site have Sun WS, you might want to seek out Sun's "Network
Programming Guide" for SunOS 4.1.

-shuenn

Post by Gerald Feldm » Fri, 15 Jan 1993 05:47:24

|> >Hi,
|> >
|> >I am new to RPC programming and I am using the RFC1044 (XDR) and RFC1057
|> >(RPC) as documentation. Those RFC's were written in 1987 and 1988.
|> >So I am wondering wether they are still valid ?

--
You should check out rfc-index. This document lists all RFCs. If an RFC
has been superceeded, it should be so noted in the index. The index is

Hudson, NH 03051           enet: alpha::gaf

1. RPC descriptions RFC1014 and RFC1057 still up to date ?

Hi,

I am new to RPC programming and I am using the RFC1044 (XDR) and RFC1057
(RPC) as documentation. Those RFC's were written in 1987 and 1988.
So I am wondering wether they are still valid ?

Apart from that, can anybody recommend other documentation for RPC and
XDR ? I had a look at Stevens' Network book, but he only gives a short
overview.

Thanks for any info, Ernst.

2. WARNING - Solaris 2.5 bug - slow Web serving

3. KDE 2.0 Application Description Pop-ups

4. startx stopped working suddenly

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Howto prevent caching of filesystem activity?

7. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

8. MAKE LOTS OF MONEY for real read on...

9. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

10. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

11. RPC 4.0 vs RPC 4.1 vs TI RPC

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Comparison bet soap rpc, dce rpc and sun rpc