Unix Programming: good reference books?

Post by Jason Van-Z » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 09:24:01

I would like to know the title of some of the better books on programming
in unix.

A good intermediate/advanced book on C programming, and maybe an older
reference guide to awk (even though it's much like C). I work for a book
publisher who still uses awk, it works fairly well acutally.

Anyway I would really appreciate some titles, if you know of any -- and
I'm sure you do -- post them, please!

Jason van Zyl -- The Porcupine's Quill, Erin, Ontario, Canada

Unix Programming: good reference books?

Post by Kevin J. Jarn » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 02:56:17

    Jason> I would like to know the title of some of the better books
    Jason> on programming in unix.

The best is W. Richard Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment".  A real bible of a book.  You may also want to
pick up his "UNIX Network Programming" book if you're going to
do any of that stuff.

    Jason> A good intermediate/advanced book on C programming,

Get Kernighan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language".

    Jason> maybe an older reference guide to awk (even though it's
    Jason> much like C). I work for a book publisher who still uses
    Jason> awk, it works fairly well acutally.

O'Reilly and Associate's "Sed and AWK" Nutshell Handbook.

Kevin

---
Kevin J. Jarnot - Senior Software Developer    |        "Vita non jerk"
IDD Information Services  Waltham, MA          |

Post by ramk » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 02:49:31

>A good intermediate/advanced book on C programming, and maybe an older
>reference guide to awk (even though it's much like C). I work for a book
>publisher who still uses awk, it works fairly well acutally.

For awk try the O'Reilly Nut Cracker series book ' Sed and Awk' or some
similar sounding title.

But if you want to check out some interpreter type of language more
closer to C  try Perl. (Nut Cracker series has to title on Perl)