Tape Driver EOF

Post by Jamey Kir » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There should be an EOD written to the tape by the drive.

Are you using marks? If so, are you using setmarks or filemarks?

Jamey Kirby

>Hi,

>As title above,

>I'm facing problem integrating storage on tape drive NT and Unix,
>my application data is written into the tape from NT 4.0, then it is read by
>the the same type of tape drive on Unix OS.

>On Unix, we are using the "dd" command to read/write to the tape, and
>On NT4.0, we are using the tape driver API.

>However, the problem is that the Unix "dd" cannot find the EOF marker
>and continue to read through the files until physical tape-end.

>What is the EOF code that should be wrote to the tape in order for the Unix
>application
>recognize it ? or any other step I have missed ?

>Thank in advance

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Dear Spammer : Whatever reason is - no junk mail.
>For auto email retrieve program, some free email for u.

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tape Driver EOF

Post by Marc SCHAEFE » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: However, the problem is that the Unix "dd" cannot find the EOF marker
: and continue to read through the files until physical tape-end.

You don't specify the UNIX version, so I will assume it's Linux 2.2.x

dd will stop (because one of its read() will return 0) on a FILE mark.
A file mark will be created automatically, on UNIX, after a write when
closing the device, or when using the MTWEOF ioctl().

: What is the EOF code that should be wrote to the tape in order for the Unix
: application
: recognize it ? or any other step I have missed ?

maybe your MS-* application uses setmarks, or short records, or
whatever.

1. NFS Stale file handler for: cat <<EOF foo EOF ?

I have made a diskless pentium machine using 1.3.83 and the 'root on nfs'
option. Took a while, but it finally works :)

The only problem i have is that the following alwyas goes wrong:

#!/bin/sh
echo "testing"
cat << EOM
This
is
test
EOM
echo "Done"

Yielding:

testing
cat: -: Stale NFS file handle
Done

Is this a basic 'flaw' of NFS? Or am i using some old outdated buggy
nfsd ? Or is it the kernel nfs code ?

I'm puzzled

Paul
--
   <>    <> |     Fight the Church of Scientology, distribute the now famous |
  <><>  <>  |     Fishman Affidavit. See URL: http://studs2.sci.kun.nl:8666/ |

2. newbie gcc problem

3. How do I write EOF to the end of IBM mag tape with dd

4. Installation problems, problems, problems!

5. Read past EOF on a tar-tape?

6. 3 CD jana offer-- Why would you guys deal w/ that ?

7. tar, cmtp, mt, EOF, EOM and multiple tape archives...

8. need maintenance for Fujitsu disk drives

9. bypass the eof mark on tape

10. EOF behavior with Unix tapes: help!

11. SCSI tape EOF errors ???

12. Help with EOF in tape with tar ....