Getting help on programming in 'C' under UNIX

Getting help on programming in 'C' under UNIX

Post by Lars Verbese » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I want to display a picture (30x30 pixel, color depth of 256) in a
X-Windows.
Does anybody knows if there is a C-library (Header-file) which I can use
(and which functions). I'm working with BSD-UNIX (SUN OS 4.1.3).

Thanks in advance
Lars

1. The 'nice' program - getting more time for my program ?

Hi folks. After looking at the man page for the 'nice'
program, I learned that the super-user (root) can specify
a negative priority adjustment to increase the priority of
a job.  So, I did the following:

1) I ran my niftly PERL script as a regular user:
        mybigscript.pl
   Total time to run was 5 minutes 2 seconds
   While it was running, I repeatedly ran: ps -l -u myusername
   and observed the priority (PRI) fluctuated between a low of 49
   and a high of 99.

2) I ran the same script as root with the following:
        nice --adjustment=-20 mybigscript.pl
   Total time to run was 4 minutes 58 seconds
   While running, ps -l -u root showed a steady Priority
   of 40.

So, now for my question - Is nice really doing anything for me ?
I had hoped to get some significant (or at least "noticable :)
speed-up but this was not the case.  mybigscript.pl does a
lot of memory and CPU intensive work (looping through large
arrays and such) and is not disk intensive at all.
Does the priority affect CPU intensive tasks ?  Is there another
way to get more CPU time for my task ?

Specifics:
  Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.5 with Perl version 5.
  No other users on the system in both cases.

Thanks for any pointers.

Rich H.

---

Rutgers University     http://cimic3.rutgers.edu/~holowcza/

2. Thanks!: video capture card

4. Key codes

5. FTP sites with 'UNIX Network Programming' book program code?

6. SCSI system lockup or frozen for EXABYTE 8mm Tape driver

7. Newbie Q: Getting message 'RPC program not registered ' when trying to mount

8. Where can I get compiled Sendmail.8.10 for AIX4.2 ?

9. AIX 5.1 - Getting the 'netstat -s' info from a C programs

10. Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

11. Getting unresolved symbols for 'new' and 'delete' operators

12. Problem in getting screen size when 'rlogin' and 'telnet'

13. Getting unresolved symbols for 'new' and 'delete' operators