Making make less verbose using autoconf and automake

Making make less verbose using autoconf and automake

Post by Ian Fas » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:28:37

Hi all, I'm new to the gnu build tools and I have a question:

I've just switched a project to use autoconf and automake, and when I
compile the code I see a lot more output than what I expect (based on
what I'm used to with other open source packages.)  For instance, for
the compilation of the two files below, I'd like to see something
like:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DWINSHIFT=1.25 -DUSE_BLOCK_FLAGS
-Wno-deprecated -O3 -o faceboxlist.o faceboxlist.cc
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DWINSHIFT=1.25 -DUSE_BLOCK_FLAGS
-Wno-deprecated -O3 -o mpiprobsearch.o mpiprobsearch.cc

But instead I see:

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -DWINSHIFT=1.25
-DUSE_BLOCK_FLAGS  -Wno-deprecated -O3 -MT
libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.o -MD -MP -MF
".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo" \
  -c -o libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.o `test -f 'faceboxlist.cc' || echo
'./'`faceboxlist.cc; \
then mv ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo"
".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -DWINSHIFT=1.25
-DUSE_BLOCK_FLAGS  -Wno-deprecated -O3 -MT
libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.o -MD -MP -MF
".deps/libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.Tpo" \
  -c -o libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.o `test -f 'mpiprobsearch.cc' ||
echo './'`mpiprobsearch.cc; \
then mv ".deps/libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.Tpo"
".deps/libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/libmpisearch_a-mpiprobsearch.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi

Since there are a number of files, this results in a whole lot of
output that is really distracting.  Does anybody know of a way to make
the Makefiles generated by autoconf less verbose?

Thanks,
Ian

Post by Ed L Cashi » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:41:03

> Hi all, I'm new to the gnu build tools and I have a question:

> I've just switched a project to use autoconf and automake, and when I
> compile the code I see a lot more output than what I expect (based on
> what I'm used to with other open source packages.)
> if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -DWINSHIFT=1.25
> -DUSE_BLOCK_FLAGS  -Wno-deprecated -O3 -MT
> libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.o -MD -MP -MF
> ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo" \
>   -c -o libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.o `test -f 'faceboxlist.cc' || echo
> './'`faceboxlist.cc; \
> then mv ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo"
> ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Po"; \
> else rm -f ".deps/libmpisearch_a-faceboxlist.Tpo"; exit 1; \
> fi
> Since there are a number of files, this results in a whole lot of
> output that is really distracting.  Does anybody know of a way to make
> the Makefiles generated by autoconf less verbose?

I don't think autoconf will do that.  It must be automake.  I like
autoconf but have never used automake because it makes a lot of
assumptions, like assuming GNU make.  That's fine, but usually it's
not what I want.

So I don't know about automake, but if you were just using autoconf,
there are a lot of things you could do.  One way to get less verbosity
is to have the makefile or configure create an executable script and
run that.  For example, if you check out Dan Bernstein's tools, you'll
see that often he uses a script called "compile" that invokes the
compiler some nice way.

Personally, I'd rather see the real commands that are being executed.

--
  Singing Science  | Now anyone can tell you what a mammal is,
  "Mammal"         | Anyone who understands!
                   | They're warm *ed, have hair on their bodies,
                   | And suckle their young from mammary glands.

Making make less verbose using autoconf and automake

Post by Ian Fas » Wed, 14 May 2003 02:07:00

Quote:

> I don't think autoconf will do that.  It must be automake.  I like
> autoconf but have never used automake because it makes a lot of
> assumptions, like assuming GNU make.  That's fine, but usually it's
> not what I want.

Ah right, since automake is generating the Makefile.in, autoconf is
just doing checks and filling in the blanks.

Quote:> Personally, I'd rather see the real commands that are being executed.

Yes, this is exactly why I want less verbosity -- so its easier to see
what commands are being executed.

Post by Pascal Bourguigno » Wed, 14 May 2003 14:30:24

> Hi all, I'm new to the gnu build tools and I have a question:

> I've just switched a project to use autoconf and automake, and when I
> compile the code I see a lot more output than what I expect (based on
> what I'm used to with other open source packages.)  For instance, for
> the compilation of the two files below, I'd like to see something
> like:

> Since there are a number of files, this results in a whole lot of
> output that is really distracting.  Does anybody know of a way to make
> the Makefiles generated by autoconf less verbose?

make > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo Completed OK. || echo Got errors.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.

1. : Driver/Module Compilation Using GNU Automake/Autoconf

Hi,

Does anyone know how to write the GNU automake (Makefile.am) script to just
compile a source code (C programs) as a linux driver/module? Here is the
scenario:

I have created several files, i.e. file1.c, file2.c, file.h. These files
when
et compiled will produce a Linux driver for some I/O devices. So far, I have
the configure.in made from issuing the "autoscan". I also have created the
Makefile.am which consists of the following lines:

   bin_PROGRAMS = file
   file_SOURCES = file1.c file2.c file.h

I also have executed "aclocal; automake; autoconf" to generate the
configuration files, Makefile.in, and Makefile.  When I typed "make", it
compiled file1.c, file2.c, and created the "file" program. What I want is to
create a driver/module "file.o" for Linux kernel. Does anyone have any idea
what I should include in the Makefile.am to tell the GNU automake and
autoconf
just to compile and create a driver/module for Linux kernel?

--
Robert Young,

2. Linux and Canon Optura 20 camcorder

3. Automating Linux Driver/Module Compilation Using GNU Automake/Autoconf

4. Linux Tomes Lose Shelf Space at Barnes and Noble

5. Using automake and autoconf with C++: A tutorial

6. ATX board with ps mouse and keyboard

7. Integrating a library using autoconf and automake

8. Linux NFS error : "There is not enough memory available now"

9. install setuid binary using Automake and Autoconf?

10. Making changes to env variables and making them stick

11. any way of making login have less or more bad password attempts?

12. Making "less" act like "more"

13. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.