Searching for some good C programing tools

Searching for some good C programing tools

Post by Alain Champeno » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

  Hi,

I'm an experienced C programmer, I'm just starting to program in an
Unix environment and I'm looking for some good programming tools.
I'm woorking on both SunOS 4.1.  and Solaris 2  OS (with SPARC 10,20)

  What is the "best" (more stable and more compatible) compiler between cc
and gcc ?

  What is the "best" (more stables, more powerful and more user friendly)
between dbx and gdb.

I have tested xdbx xxgdb and de* (don't even mention dbxtool) but I
have encounter several difficulties installing them and debugging with
them. Are there better debugging tools (freeware or software)?
Since I'm woorking on Solaris and SunOS, I would like to have a de*
that can work with SunOS or Solaris programs if that's possible.

  Thanx for you help
  Alain

Post by Espel Llima Rog » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>  Hi,

>I'm an experienced C programmer, I'm just starting to program in an
>Unix environment and I'm looking for some good programming tools.
>I'm woorking on both SunOS 4.1.  and Solaris 2  OS (with SPARC 10,20)

>  What is the "best" (more stable and more compatible) compiler between cc
>and gcc ?

gcc, without a doubt.  SunOS 4.1's cc is particularily old and broken,
while Solaris' is an extra expensive add-on package (and is comparable
to gcc in quality).

Quote:>  What is the "best" (more stables, more powerful and more user friendly)
>between dbx and gdb.

Depends on what you want to do; the most _powerful_ de* on
SunOS/Solaris is adb, but that's as user-unfriendly as it gets and it's
not particularily adapted to source debugging.

The de* you're looking for is most certainly gdb, and I'd
particularily recommend using ddd as a gdb front-end.  ddd is much more
powerful and user-friendly than xxgdb, and is freeware too.

It's a little big though...  and it uses motif, so if you don't have it
you'll need to find a statically linked copy.

        Roger
--

WWW page & PGP key: http://www.veryComputer.com/:8080/home/espel/index.html