Improving performance using TCP/IP

Post by Nil » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I am developing a Server in C++ using TCP/IP on Solaris 2.6.
> The client is written in Java and run on a Solaris 2.6 platform
> as well. I am having some performance issues.  It takes an
> average of 1.3 seconds for 1 Meg of data to go across a gigabit
> ethernet. What is the best way to reduce this time?

Added information:
The server is transaction based. I know I am producing the information fast
enough. I am not sure how to tell if the data is being consumed fast
enough. How could the consumption rate be measured?

Thanks,
Nil

Improving performance using TCP/IP

Post by Nil » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I just tried to ftp 1 Meg across and that took almost 1 second. So I guess
it isn't my software that is bogging down the performance.
I recieved an e-mail from someone suggesting that perhaps the ethernet
adapter on one of the machines is 10MB/s. How would I find out if the
Ethernet adapter is set properly? Is this a simple matter of changing a
configuration file?
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to check / change the Ethernet
adapter/adapter settings?
Nil

Quote:> > Hi,
> > I am developing a Server in C++ using TCP/IP on Solaris 2.6.  I am

having some performance issues.  It takes an average of 1.3 seconds for 1
Meg of data to go across a gigabit ethernet. What is the best way to reduce
this time?
Quote:> Nil

Post by Andrew Giert » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

 Nil> I just tried to ftp 1 Meg across and that took almost 1
 Nil> second. So I guess it isn't my software that is bogging down the
 Nil> performance.

Try a *very* much larger file and see what happens to the throughput.

--
Andrew.

                           or <URL: http://www.whitefang.com/unix/>

1. Improving Performance using TCP/IP

Hi,
I am developing a Server in C++ using TCP/IP on  Solaris 2.6.  The client
is written in Java and run on a Solaris 2.6 platform as well. I am having
some performance issues.  It takes an average of 1.3 seconds for 1 Meg of
data to go across a gigabit ethernet. What is the best way to reduce this
time?

Nil

2. savage4?

3. I/O tests using elvtune to improve interactive performance

4. Help configuring multiple pppoe interfaces

5. Improving network performance by using x-over connection between two servers

6. Swap Partition

7. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

8. Future Domain TMC950 - Help!

9. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?