telnet with c/c++

Post by Lynn Acheso » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some information on how to use
telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just need something simple to
accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close connections.

telnet with c/c++

Post by Mike Kachlin » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some information on how to use
> telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just need something simple to
> accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close connections.

<snip>

        Lynn,

        Been there, done that. Probabably one of the most brain wracking parts
of writing a MUD
is the net code, after that it's lot of hard work. If you really want to
write your own, take
a look at "circlemud". It's the most readable source I've seen yet.
Otherwise, memorize the
man pages for accept(), socket(), select() and probably a few more that
I can't remember off the
top of my head.
        Either way, in short, there are no "Library'ish" routines which I know
of for accepting
telnet connections. In the end, creating a program which accepts net
connections is easy from a
"lines of code" perspective, but there is a learning curve as far as
things like "How do I keep
xxx from blocking?" and such.

                                                                Good Luck,
                                                                        - Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech

http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/

telnet with c/c++

Post by David Shaffe » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some information on how to use
> telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just need something simple to
> accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close connections.

you will want to open a socket for port 23 ( telnet ) or ??? ( for mud ) and use a pty to send and
receive i/o.

telnet with c/c++

Post by Robert J. Rademache » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some

information on how to use
Quote:>telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just need
something simple to
>accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close

connections.

I already asked others about that - and didn't get any replies from anyone
here yet.

Yes, please tell us where we can find the C routines that will work like a
real telnet client used by various UNIX servers (I have Digital Alphastation
400 with Digital Unix here.)

Thanks,

Robert

telnet with c/c++

Post by John Davi » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some
> information on how to use
> >telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just need
> something simple to
> >accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close
> connections.

> I already asked others about that - and didn't get any replies from anyone
> here yet.

> Yes, please tell us where we can find the C routines that will work like a
> real telnet client used by various UNIX servers (I have Digital Alphastation
> 400 with Digital Unix here.)

Telnet is a very simple protocol.  The only out of band data ever sent
is some handshaking at the beginning of the session, after that a telnet
packet is just data that is terminated by a \r\n combination.  Find the
RFC for the telnet spec, or check out Richard Stevens first volume of
his TCP/IP series (i forget the name off hand, it's at home and i'm not)
it has sa good description of the telnet protocol.  You could even get
the source to the telnet program or telnetd daemon and see how they do
stuff.

john

--
Unix is a very user friendly operating system ... it's just picky about
who it's friends with

telnet with c/c++

Post by wibble » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > >Does anyone know where I can find some c/c++ telnet routines, or some
> > information on how to use
> > >telnet with c/c++?  I want to design my own MUD codebase, and I just
need
> > something simple to
> > >accept connections, send and recieve data from connections, and close
> > connections.

Also I think you can download source code for telnet from most places that
offer linux distributions via ftp, if you want to take a look at the
insides of telnet itself.

telnet with c/c++

Post by Y W Won » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

"Expect" may the perfect solution for inter-active applications.

see http://expect.nist.gov

Y W Wong

> > > information on how to use
> need
> > > something simple to
> > > connections.

> Also I think you can download source code for telnet from most places that
> offer linux distributions via ftp, if you want to take a look at the
> insides of telnet itself.

1. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

Hello all,

    I have a question in networking

What does the command telnet 0 do? I know it will telnet to itself, but does
it go through anything? I mean gateway and anything else? How is it
different from telnet-ing to its nodename? Also What about "telnet
127.0.0.1?" All these telnet do the same thing but are they different? and
How?

Regards,

Benny Pei

2. Question on sockets

3. telnet sample code c/ c++

4. Linux commands in c program?????

5. Simple C++ Telnet Class Wanted

6. fopen() limit on solaris

7. For the AIX C++ gurus: creating a C interface to a C++ shard lib

8. Full Duplex Network Card.

9. these 3 questions from my C++ E-mail group, and my reply to C++ group

10. c++ IDE like Microsoft's Visual C++, is there one

11. Are sun studio C/C++ compilers and Forte C/C++ compilers same ??

12. how to include C++ header files when using Forte 6 C++ compiler?

13. Integrating SparcWorks C++ and Apex C++