Problems with parallel invokation of make

Problems with parallel invokation of make

Post by Udo A. Steinber » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 19:02:58

Hello,

In a Makefile I have a target defined as:

GENHDR := foo.h bar.h baz.h

Those header files are generated by a script and the rule looks like:

$(GENHDR):      $(SCRIPT) $(GENDATA)
                ...commands...

The script actually generates all 3 header files at once when executed.
This works fine if I invoke make serially. However when trying to run
"make -j 5" the rule is invoked for all 3 header files in parallel, i.e.
each invokation of the script ruins the generated header files of the
other 2 running scripts.
How can I prevent this with make magic?

.NOTPARALLEL prevents parallelity for all following targets in the same
Makefile. I only want to prevent parallelity for those 3 targets.

Regards,
Udo.

1. Disabling shell and command invokation

     I would like to know how to prevent users from shelling out
of programs like 'more' and 'vi', such as by !command or :sh.
Specifically, I'm writing a Bourne shell script where it would be bad
if users could escape to the shell or run commands without
authorization.  I've tried SHELL=""; export SHELL, but that
doesn't work.  From the C shell, I've tried setenv SHELL "",
which works on some systems but not on all.  Can anyone help
with this?

2. PCNFSpro & MS Word

3. parallel zip drive makes my system lock up!

4. Need sites with Alpha Parts

5. Making a for loop parallel instead of serial - trolling for ideas

6. compiling kdk/kdevelop problems

7. non-connected parallel zip drive makes system freeze

8. Creating libraries of object module

9. Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

10. parallel zip drive + additional parallel card

11. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

12. parallel to parallel connexion between 2 pc ?

13. Multiple parallel ports/IRQ sharing/non-use of IRQ by parallel ports?