How do I call vi from curses?

Post by Olivier GERARDI » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello there,

My question is simple: what is the canonic way to call a full screen
program (like vi) when running curses, so that curses can still be used
AFTER?

I've tried many things, but in the best case, you could not use the arrow
keys after. I've also tried it a few systems (AIX 3.2.5, Solaris 2.4,
SCO, Interactive, SVR4, HP-UX...) with different results.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

--
Olivier GERARDIN
SICOMM, 4 rue Thomas Edison, F-57070 METZ, FRANCE

How do I call vi from curses?

Post by tecn » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi, If I understood well, I think this wil resolve your problem:

         sprintf(command, "vi %s", file_to_vi);

         endwin();

         system(command);

         doupdate();

I have no problems with tihs and I have tested it on a SCO 3.2v4.2 and on a AIX 3.2

C u, :-)

1. : Calling Non-Curses Apps from Curses App ?

I know this has been discussed.  Can someone let me know how to call non
curses applications (like more and vi) from my curses application,
without strange terminal characteristics ocurring in the shell, or when
I return, or loosing my last curses screens.

Thanks Greatly

Tom Lane

2. Help! Problems with fdisk and extended partitions...

3. curses curses curses

4. NAT problems.

5. vi or curses loses '[' character when arrow key overused

6. Anyone using ESCOM QUATTRO PC (VESA LB)?

7. Curses examples & vi docs

8. tar+gz in one shot

9. vi/curses bug, AIX 4.3.2, alternate screens

10. vi, curses, and core dumping

11. vi turns off vt220 line wrap.... curses problem?

12. curses & 'vi' or 'more' -- argh.

13. calling readline() from within curses