analyzing 'core' file, how ?

Post by Nick Cart » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Could someone please tell me how I can analyze a core dump ?
The platform is SCO Unix v3.2.  I understand that with GNU
there is such things as gdb.  But I don't have space to put on
GNU.  So is there some standard unix tool  (SCO?) that can be
used to do this ?  Basically I would like to know which program
caused the core dump and the situation that it happened.

Thanks in advance

analyzing 'core' file, how ?

Post by Roger L. Cordes, Jr » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Could someone please tell me how I can analyze a core dump ?
> The platform is SCO Unix v3.2.  I understand that with GNU
> there is such things as gdb.  But I don't have space to put on
> GNU.  So is there some standard unix tool  (SCO?) that can be
> used to do this ?  Basically I would like to know which program
> caused the core dump and the situation that it happened.

Does your SCO distribution include a software development
environment (i.e., C compiler, etc.)? If so, does it include
dbx or (shudder) adb? You can use either of these to try to
determine the problem in the executable. They may or may not
help much in determining which executable generated the core
dump, though.

Maybe,
R.
--
Remove spaces below for reply-to address:

analyzing 'core' file, how ?

Post by Evgenij Beres » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.programmer

   Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:42:47 GMT

   Could someone please tell me how I can analyze a core dump ?
   The platform is SCO Unix v3.2.  I understand that with GNU
   there is such things as gdb.  But I don't have space to put on
   GNU.  So is there some standard unix tool  (SCO?) that can be
   used to do this ?  Basically I would like to know which program
   caused the core dump and the situation that it happened.

   Thanks in advance

According to my experience, any UNIX standard de* included in
UNIX distribution (like `sdb', `dbx' etc)  supports core analysis.
You invoke the de* in the directory holding `core', and
investigate the problem without running program. The `core' contains
"snapshot" of program state at crash moment so you can access variable
values.

Eugene Beresin