Newbie needs help in the right direction.

Newbie needs help in the right direction.

Post by Kool » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:00:32

Hey masters of the code. I'm an end user that would like to start learning
how to program, on my own time--before I take a course in it. I've decided
Unix would be the most beneficial for me( I really don't know why!). Can you
point a finger to the right resources (books, CD Roms-tutorials, etc) for an
end-user like me to understand the complete BASICS of Unix as I know
absolutely nothing but its name & relation to giving Linux birth via
Torvalds. Please I'm getting fed up with using Windows - except for games
that is.
Thanks in advance for help this newbie, as once I start I won't give up.

Newbie needs help in the right direction.

Post by Stev » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:00:37

Here's a link to basic Unix commands:
http://www.bpsi.net/~kingery/unix/unix-commands.html

Then, go out and get _Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hours_
(terrible name, terrific book).

HTH,
-SteveN-

Post by Chris Falc » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:38:49

> Can you
> point a finger to the right resources (books, CD Roms-tutorials, etc) for an
> end-user like me to understand the complete BASICS of Unix

I'd suggest getting a copy of Unix Power Tools (O'Riley). It's over 1000 pages,
but the first few chapters cover the basics, how to set up a system for a user,
etc, etc. Then I'd camp out on newsgroups like this one, and when you see
something that interests you, the book is a great reference.

-Chris