setuid programs and shared library problems

setuid programs and shared library problems

Post by Antoun Kanawat » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

(I am not sure whether this is Linux or Unix issue.)

The problem: I have some programs which will load and run fine when
their setuid bit is OFF.  However, when the bit is ON, they refuse
to load a particular shared library (no such ...).

Details: the programs are KDE screen savers.
The library is libqt.so.1.  I compiled and installed these
programs under /opt.  The KDE programs are owned by ROOT, and have
their setuid bit ON.  This was all working fine, until I installed
Redhat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36).

So, I tried to set up a little program and a little shared library to
reproduce the problem, but couldn't: all worked fine with or without
the setuid bit.

Is this a known phenomenon?  if so, what are the rules? how do I
reproduce it?

Please CC me.  My news server doesn't keep articles around that long.

Antoun (Tony) Kanawati

Photo gallery: http://www.veryComputer.com/~tonyk/photos
Home:          http://www.*com.net/~tonyk