Obtaining confirmation for sent data

Post by Gila » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:57:25

Hello All,

 This one is a bit of a beginner's question, but please bear with me.

 I have a client sending buffers of data via a socket
 to a receiving server. Both sides of connection are asynch.

 The client needs to know for sure when the server has indeed
 reveived the data.

 To obtain this information the client cannot use the send()
 return value since, at least with default settings on, send()
 returning N on one side is not usually preceeded by recv() returning N
 on the other side ,due to tcp internal buffering.

 What would be the most _efficient_ way to obtain the above information ?

 The two solutions I could think of:
   - server returning confirmation message with a id of received buffer
   - client & server both set to no-buffer mode.
 seem both less than perfect.

 (Operating systems:  NT & Solaris)

Thanks in advance,
Gilad Haimov

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:08:06

> This one is a bit of a beginner's question, but please bear with me.

It's also not really about Unix, or any particular operating system.  See
the responses that were posted when you asked the same question in
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.  And don't multi-post from now on (did you also post
it to an NT newsgroup?); either pick one group, or cross-post properly.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA