source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

Post by Leo Razoumo » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi All,
everybody knows how frustrating is to browse manually through large
projects (> 50K lines) of the C/C++ code written by others almost
without  documentation.

I am looking for a good and robust C/C++ source code parser which can
produce extensive cross-references of
files/classes/variables/functions... preferable in HTML format.

So far I tried 'cxref' but it cannot not properly handle all variety of
C-grammar and reports "parse errors" on pretty legal code which compiles
fine.

Any other suggestion ...

Leo

source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

Post by Jeff Trawic » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I've used GLOBALS 1.7.  It is nice and simple.  It
creates an HTML-ized version of the source with indexes
to find things by file or by function name.  Once in the
code, function calls are HTML links to take you to the
function.

Unfortunately, it seems that the only symbols it handles
are functions and function-like macros.  I'd like to have
something that handles variables and variable-like macros
as well.

Don't take these comments too negatively.  The elapsed
time from hearing that GLOBALS existed to having
our source code HTML-ized was perhaps half an hour.  That
is fantastic.

The only thing I felt like changing in the source distribution
(already ported to Linux, which I use) was to have it install in
/usr/local/whatever instead of /usr/whatever.

I'm eager to hear about other such packages!

source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

Post by Tim Hollebe » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi All,
> everybody knows how frustrating is to browse manually through large
> projects (> 50K lines) of the C/C++ code written by others almost
> without  documentation.

> I am looking for a good and robust C/C++ source code parser which can
> produce extensive cross-references of
> files/classes/variables/functions... preferable in HTML format.

> So far I tried 'cxref' but it cannot not properly handle all variety of
> C-grammar and reports "parse errors" on pretty legal code which compiles
> fine.

You can try Autodoc (http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/~tim/autodoc).  It is
quite new still, but I've torture-tested it with a few ~100 kloc packages,
and it produced usable results.

Tim Hollebeek         | Disclaimer :=> Everything above is a true statement,
Electron Psychologist |                for sufficiently false values of true.

----------------------| http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/~tim (NEW! IMPROVED!)

source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

Post by Martin Becket » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Two other usefull packages are:

cxx2html from the AIPS++ project at
http://tarzan.aoc.nrao.edu/aips++/RELEASED/cxx2html/
This program henerates html from c++ header files only
it doesn't format the code but does produce a well formatted
class reference manual

doc++
( sorry can't find address )
This is a complicated package which produces Java applications
to illustrate the inheritance graphs.
Couldn't understand what this was supposed to do.

There are two well known c -> ps prety printers which might
soon have html modes.
a2ps and c2ps, available from any ftp site.

        Martin

Martin Beckett,   Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge

source code => HTML documentation with cross references ???

Post by sa » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

http://wafu.netgate.net/tama/unix/indexe.html

they have samples of the Freebsd and linux source trees
eh-tee-em-elized, browsable with netscape.