A problem with binary files in CVS-1.9 repository

A problem with binary files in CVS-1.9 repository

Post by Stephan Zimmerma » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> create a conflict.  Fortunately for us, 90% of the work we do is in code,
> so we are just really careful about modifying forms, and try to only do
> it one person at a time.  When conflicts do arise, the last person in
> "loses" and has to give up the changes, and then re-apply them.

> Let me know if you find a better solution,
>   Vic.

 Me too, please.

Thanks in advance, bye

Stephan

Post by Steffen Schwig » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I store project's FrameMaker documentation as binary files in
>the CVS-1.9 repository. It is convenient to handle project's docs and
>sources in the same place. For proper handling doc files, I included
>following lines in the `cvswrappers' file:

>  # Handle FrameMaker files.
>  *.fm  -m 'COPY'  -k 'o'

>It works OK except that after I have edited some `*.fm' doc file in my
>working directory, and somebody else has committed its own version of
>this file, I can not run `cvs update': my local editions will be lost.

I also know that problem, and we decided, that only one person changes files
of a class. For instance, everybody knows, only person A changes the *.fm-files,
only person B changes *.bin-files in directory xxx, and so on. If person C
want to change *.fm-files, she first informs A to commit his changes, before
C changes them.

Quite silly, I know.

Probably you could use the `cvs watch' / `cvs [un]edit' commands to perform
this `protocol' via cvs itself. See cvc documentation for that. I didn't try
it.

Additionally, probably RCS like file-locking is possible via the `cvs admin'
command. With RCS file locking semantics, only one user at a time should be
able to work on that file. I also didn't try it. Sorry.

If someone tried RCS file locking with CVS, I'm interested in it.

GreetinX
Steffen
--
Steffen Schwigon

Signature fault (.plan dumped)

1. A problem with binary files in CVS-1.9 repository

: People,

: I'm sorry if my question doesn't fit this newsgroup,
: but I couldn't find a special CVS group. I will be appreciate
: if somebody point me such a group.
comp.software.config-mgmt

: I store project's FrameMaker documentation as binary files in
<snip>
: (But don't advise me to use -m 'MERGE' instead of 'COPY': it is
: senseless because conflicts are possible. I don't know how to resolve
: conflicts in binary files by hand.)

Have you considered using maker interface files (.mif?). These are
text files and can be merged. They should also delta better than the binary
files.

--

Philips Semiconductors Ltd
Southampton SO15 0DJ                        +44 (01703) 316431

2. XFree86, CDE, and fonts

3. cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

4. How do I add this newgroup to my netscape

5. Distributed CVS -- Synchronizing Multiple CVS Repositories

6. Notes clients running on Linux?

7. CVS repository for common files

8. read this if you love linux

9. How to import some RCS files to CVS repository?

10. delete files in a cvs repository

11. delete files in CVS-repository...

12. cvs repository problem

13. Problems accessing CVS repository...