postincrement on x86/linux

Post by Gregg E Econom » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

has anybody knoticed anythign about the postincrement in linux?
using gcc (v 2.6.2 as well as v2.7) a postincremented variable is evaluated
at the incremented amount instead of the value before incremetation as per
the standard. It works properly on my DECstation..

anybody else notice this?

postincrement on x86/linux

Post by M.Boekho » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: has anybody knoticed anythign about the postincrement in linux?
: using gcc (v 2.6.2 as well as v2.7) a postincremented variable is evaluated
: at the incremented amount instead of the value before incremetation as per
: the standard. It works properly on my DECstation..

No, but I noticed something strange. I had a routine that worked with Linux,
but when I ran it on a decstation, the whole thing failed. Turned out
that on the decstation (compiler gcc), the postincrement was done as a
pre-increment! Just the opposite of what you are noticing! Isn't that funny..

This cost me quote some headache before I figured it out.

Maarten

|     Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL    |

1. Linux-x86 binaries under Solaris-x86?

Has anyone looked into the possibility of running dynamically
(or statically) linked Linux ELF binaries under Solaris on
intel platforms?

I prefer Solaris instead of Linux on our Intel boxes for a
variety of reasons. However, many of the 3rd-party apps that
we use on our desktop systems (e.g, MATLAB, Maple, Frame,
Mathematica, Entropic Xwaves, SPlus, etc.) are unavailable
for Solaris-x86. Even Netscape, a software vendor with a very
strong emphasis on multi-platform support, only provides
their Navigator3.01 product as a "unsupported" binary on
Solaris-x86.  I'm doubtful that they will support Solaris-x86
at all for their upcoming Communicator release.  However,
many of the above-mentioned apps and others are becoming
available for Linux as dynamically linked binaries.

It should be possible (theoretically) to run these Linux
binaries under Solaris, but I suspect there may be significant
difficulties in porting the Linux libdl.so (dynamic linker)
and libC.so libraries to Solaris-x86--especially in dealing
with possible differences in the include files and OS calling
conventions.

Has anyone looked into this yet?

                                -steve

| Steven Venema                   Computer Systems/Network Administration |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| Electrical Engineering Dept. |  Phone: 206-543-9378                     |
| University of Washington     |    FAX: 206-543-3842                     |

| Seattle, WA 98195-2500       |    URL: http://brl.ee.washington.edu/BRL |

2. Mounting from Redhat

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. simple apache question

5. SunRAY Server Software for x86 Linux && x86 Solaris

6. Vendor's reputation? Hware quality?

7. linux ppc vs linux alpha vs linux x86?

8. Help with RAID

9. linux x86 programs that dont run on linux ppc?

10. Linux on a Mac vs. x86 Linux

11. linux for ppc, linux for x86, macOS 9, macOS X, windows 98 all on one network?

12. Cross compiling apps from Linux/x86 to Linux/PPC

13. Linux/X86 emulator for Linux/Alpha