Manchester encoding

Post by Srimurugan Kotieswara » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 05:33:57

Hi
   I can understand the concept of manchester encoding but for what
purpose they are doing it and what is the drawback in it to replace it
with
differential manchester encoding.

Thankyou
-Sri

Manchester encoding

Post by Fletcher Glen » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:44:45

> Hi
>    I can understand the concept of manchester encoding but for what
> purpose they are doing it and what is the drawback in it to replace it
> with
> differential manchester encoding.

> Thankyou
> -Sri

This is kind of off topic for this group.  The problem with
Manchester encoding is that there are twice as many FCI than
are necessary.  The concept of phase encoding is the solution.
Phase encoding is also known as MFM encoding.  MFM gets
double the data encoding for the same number of FCI.

BTW - was this a homework question?

--
                Fletcher Glenn

1. Transfer-Encoding: chuunked AND Content-Encoding: deflate

using zlib
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
and
http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/

with HTTP/1.1
http://sunsite.auc.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc2616.html

I am attempting to send
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

(from a home-built web server)

to a client browser that has indicated its willingness to accept this:
HTTP HEADER FOLLOWS:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
Host: 127.0.0.1
Connection: Keep-Alive

Ive RFC'd myself and tested the component peices individually . successfully.
my interpretation of the RFC leads me to format my HTTP response as:

Headers
chunksize n
deflatedData
chunksize n
deflatedData
chunksize 0

where n is the size of the deflated data

I am applying this deflation to arbitrary mime types and
maintaining the original mime-type.

if i had a website to look at that DOES do this successfully
I could compare  the output to see what I am doing wrong.. or indeed if
my browser is not handling it properly.

Does my interpretation of the RFC as to the format of the chunked and compressed
output seem correct?

Thanks in advance..
-db-

2. Serious question concerning SCSI...

4. 2.2.5-R HANDBOOK and FAQ missing from ftpx.freebsd.org

5. the underworld (manchester) playlist - 16 October 1998

6. POP3 server broken? after upgrade to Linux 2.0.10

7. Manchester user group contact

8. aix 4.3.3 ML010 and 4-button mouse

9. MobiliX at Linux 2001 - Manchester

10. Manchester 2600 Meet