Any relationship between message size and tcp/udp socket buffer size?

Any relationship between message size and tcp/udp socket buffer size?

Post by John Poo » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all!

I want to ask if there is any relationship between message size and
tcp/udp socket buffer size? (i.e. will they affect each other)  And how
the sending socket buffer size relate to the receive socket buffer size?

Thanks for any words.

Any relationship between message size and tcp/udp socket buffer size?

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to ask if there is any relationship between message size and
>tcp/udp socket buffer size? (i.e. will they affect each other)

They don't really affect each other much, although if the UDP receive
buffer is smaller than the size of a single message then you would probably
have trouble receiving that message.  The TCP receive buffer size is used
to specify the receive window, so a smaller buffer can reduce throughput.
And in UDP, a small buffer can result in packet loss if the receiving
process doesn't read the packets out of the kernel as quickly as they
arrive.

Quote:>                                                             And how
>the sending socket buffer size relate to the receive socket buffer size?

Not at all.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA