Multicast help needed.

Post by chin.. » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello:

      I need some help in fully understanding multicast. For an
application to receive multicast packets it first has to bind to a port
and then add membership to the multicast group. Is this right.

      Here is my setup - A machine with one IP interface and one
address (IP1).

      Here is what I did -

      1) Open a socket.
      2) Bind the socket with address IP1, port1.
      3) Set socket options to add multicast membership to multicast
address MADDR1.
         The ip_mreq structure is filled as
         struct ip_mreq mreq;
         mreq.imr_interface.s_addr = htonl(IP1);
         mreq.imr_multiaddr.s_addr = htonl(MADDR1);
      4) I send a packet with the destination address as MADDR1 and
port port1.

      I dont get any data on this socket. If I change the address IP1
in step 2 to INADDR_ANY then I receive the packet. Why dont I receive
the packet in the first case.

     My second question.

     I have a machine with two IP interfaces. The two IP interfaces are
on seperate LAN's. I want to open one server per interface and listen
to multicast packets only on that interface. What is the best way to do
this.

Thanks,

Chinmay

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Need help with multicast routing

Hi!

Where can I find resources to do multicast routing in linux? I want to
setup a multicast router in my office to stream local content.

The documents seem to be out-dated and my recent experiments with
mrouted on kernel 2.4.26 and iperf for testing failed miserably.

Has anyone succesfully used linux as multicast router? If so, how?
Thanks,
Padam J Singh.

2. Trying to install Redhat 6.2 on a Compaq server

3. Q: Need help with multicast

4. Sol X86, CDROM -> SoundCard.

5. Some multicast research -- help needed

6. New public mailing list for FlexLM and license software discussion

7. We Need Good Unix Programmers!

8. need help using multicast

9. help needed initializing DEQNA with multicast

10. Need help in using the multicast networking features via TLI

11. Linux multicast is slower than Windows multicast ?