Help with SunLink X.25

Post by Joe Palumb » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 00:18:28

I'll likely be adding SunLink X.25 (for Solaris 1.0 - aka SunOS 4.1.3) to an
existing application, and could use some answers from anyone with experience
using it.  (I need to estimate the task, before purchasing the software.)

I'm adding this to an application which currently has a dialup (modem)
interface between a client and server.  It uses standard open() &
read/write() functions, then sends commands to the modem and communicate
to the other end.  Now the application must communicate across an existing
X.25 network, about which I know very little.

My questions are as follows:

- What kind of interface is there to SunLink X.25?

- How do I establish my initial connection from the client & server?

- Can I tell if the other end dies?  (either the application or the
connection)   It's possible for the client&server to reverse roles, so I'm
sure this could complicate things.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-Joe.

Help with SunLink X.25

Post by Thomas B. Peders » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 07:13:02

>I'll likely be adding SunLink X.25 (for Solaris 1.0 - aka SunOS 4.1.3) to an
>existing application, and could use some answers from anyone with experience
>using it.  (I need to estimate the task, before purchasing the software.)

You'll probably have to upgrade your Solaris to 2.2 or 2.3 to run the
most recent version 8.0.

Quote:>I'm adding this to an application which currently has a dialup (modem)
>interface between a client and server.  It uses standard open() &
>read/write() functions, then sends commands to the modem and communicate
>to the other end.  Now the application must communicate across an existing
>X.25 network, about which I know very little.
>My questions are as follows:
>- What kind of interface is there to SunLink X.25?

The X.25 API, which is from Spider Systems, comes with two interfaces;
NLI and streams, of which only the latter will be supported in future
versions. The streams interface is really nice to program if you have
tried other X.25 APIs.

Quote:>- How do I establish my initial connection from the client & server?
>- Can I tell if the other end dies?  (either the application or the
>connection)   It's possible for the client&server to reverse roles, so I'm
>sure this could complicate things.

Unless you have a transport layer interface, you'll program X.25 on the
network layer, which consists of sending and receiving network primitives.

For instance, to establish a connection you send a connect request, which the
other end will respond to by either sending a connect confirmation or
disconnect indication block.

    Caller                      Callee

    N_CONN_REQUEST -----------> N_CONN_INDICATION
    N_CONN_CONFIRMATION <------ N_CONN_RESPONSE

If you're not familiar with the OSI network layer, I can recommend
Tanenbaums "Computer Networks", which describes all the OSI layers and
the network layer in particular. Don't expect much help from the
Spider manuals, they assume you're already familiar with X.25.

The only bad thing I have to say about Spider X.25 for Solaris is that
it costs more than a SparcClassic.

Good luck,

zeppelin

Help with SunLink X.25

Post by Petteri J?nt » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 20:12:06

>>I'll likely be adding SunLink X.25 (for Solaris 1.0 - aka SunOS 4.1.3) to an
>>existing application, and could use some answers from anyone with experience
>>using it.  (I need to estimate the task, before purchasing the software.)

>You'll probably have to upgrade your Solaris to 2.2 or 2.3 to run the
>most recent version 8.0.

Why? We're running Solaris 1.1.1 (SunOS 4.1.3_U1) and SunLink 7.0 and
everything works fine.

Help with SunLink X.25

Post by Mark Wut » Sun, 01 May 1994 00:32:07

: I'll likely be adding SunLink X.25 (for Solaris 1.0 - aka SunOS 4.1.3) to an
: existing application, and could use some answers from anyone with experience
: using it.  (I need to estimate the task, before purchasing the software.)

You are in luck if you are using Sunlink 7 or lower.  The API to Sunlink X.25
under those versions is Sockets (under 8, they supposedly support the socket
API but it bites the big one).

You create a socket and bind and address to it, connect and listen, just like
with TCP/IP sockets.  Once you have a connection established, you may use
read and write just like any other connection.

The Sunlink X.25 Packet-level and HDLC Programmer's Guide has pretty good
code clippings showing you how to bind an address and all that.  If you can't
get a hold of the manual, I can probably dig up some examples for you.

   Mark

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

1. difference between Sunlink x.25 8.0.2 and Solastice x.25 9.2 in lapb_stioc

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any difference in structure
lapb_stioc between x.25 8.0.2 and x.25 9.2 which is used to get
statistics from the LAPb driver.
Our code uses the above structure to check the link statistics .
At present we use x.25 8.0.2.We need to migrate to x.25 9.2.
Any help provided is appreciated...

Regards,
Rajesh

2. The Trouble With Rtelnet...SOCKS_GetDst

3. Help for SunLink X.25 8.0.1 wanted

4. ICMP problem. Help!

5. HELP:SunLink X.25 does not come up

6. Telnet sessions to RH 6.1 dropping after inactivity?

7. Help needed for Sunlink X.25

8. Samba Why very slow?

9. SunLink X.25 8.0 config problem -- HELP!

10. Wanted: API on top of SunLink X.25 8/9

11. Addressing problem when using Sunlink X.25 over LLC2

12. Sunlink X.25 on SS20 serial port B

13. Who has SunLink X.25?