HELP: Direct Video Mem Access under X11R5 ???

HELP: Direct Video Mem Access under X11R5 ???

Post by Christoph Kr » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 00:34:33

Hello !

Perhaps can anybody give me a hint:

Is it possible for a program under X11 to write to video memory directly ?
(Needed for faster graphics output)
I heard that there should exist an extesion to X11 to handle direct video output ?

Thanks for Your help !

Ch.K.

HELP: Direct Video Mem Access under X11R5 ???

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 05:24:19

Quote:>Hello !
>Perhaps can anybody give me a hint:
>Is it possible for a program under X11 to write to video memory directly ?
>(Needed for faster graphics output)

If you are running X, you are running under a "nice" OS, with memory
protection. Quit diddling with the hardware!

On the other hand, there are "XImages", and the "MIT shared memory
extensions" which should help you get more speed out of things.

Go grab the postscript documentation for it, out of the X1R5 distribution.
Philip Brown, CIS major, UC Santa Cruz
Author of "kdrill", and "xmandel"
Winging my way out of academia soon...

1. FPM main mem mixed with EDO video mem

I just bought a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster MA202 as an upgrade to my
PCI noname video card (with Cirrus Logic 5434 chip).  The Graphics
Blaster has a Cirrus 5446 chip and a great price.  However, my system
won't use it.  Immediately on power up I get 1 long beep followed by 3
short beeps.  The display comes up corrupted, with a number of vertical
bars of random charaters across the screen.  I used an old version of
Checkit under a DOS session to test the video memory and received
numerous memory parity errors.  I then experimented with motherboard
settings, including specifying the system memory was EDO, but nothing
worked.  I have 32 megs of standard, fast page mode ram on a 486 PCI
motherboard, AMI BIOS, AMD 133 cpu overclocked to 160.

I took the board back and exchanged it on the off chance that it was
defective, but the new board did exactly the same thing.

It now occurs to me that I can't mix EDO video ram with FPM system ram.
I would like to know if anyone has run into this problem and if changing
system ram to EDO would fix the problem.
--

Somewhere in the Wilds of Western Massachusetts

2. Kde vs. COL problem !?!?

3. Text mode character output through direct accessing Video RAM?

4. ext2-fs panic

5. Direct access to video memory under X

6. Connection Oriented LLC Support

7. Direct VGA video adapter access ?

8. Writing to standard error?

9. Direct access to video memory

10. Direct video memory access under X

11. Direct access to the video card

12. Need help!!! direct memory access

13. Help. Direct access to the SCSI port.