JPEG: got a filter to make it?

Post by Rork D. Kui » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I want a filter that translates some easy image file format to JPEG.
"easy" means almost anything besides JPEG, since I can make it or
get to it with netpbm filters.  I want the filter to be free, and not
require seeing the image.  "ppmtojpeg" would do.  -rork.

JPEG: got a filter to make it?

Post by Andrew Giert » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

 Rork> I want a filter that translates some easy image file format to
 Rork> JPEG.  "easy" means almost anything besides JPEG, since I can
 Rork> make it or get to it with netpbm filters.  I want the filter to
 Rork> be free, and not require seeing the image.  "ppmtojpeg" would
 Rork> do.

The Independent JPEG Group make available the cjpeg and djpeg utilities
under a BSD-style license.

cjpeg can do PPM-to-JPEG, as well as a few other formats.  This is a
pure filter - it doesn't contain any display code.  Quality,
optimisation, greyscale and loads of other options can be specified on
the command line.

I believe the master distribution site is ftp.uu.net, under
graphics/jpeg.

--
Andrew.

                           or <URL: http://www.whitefang.com/unix/>