Q: Need help with multicast

Post by Kent A Vander Veld » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

  Could someone recommend references that will help me write a system of
programs that use multicast?  After doing some reading I am a little
confused.

  What I need to be able to do is send a message to machines on multiple
subnets but the routers do not support all-subnet broadcasting.  Do I
need to run mrouted on all the machines in every subnet and have a
single machine per subnet "tunnel" to the others and then send the
message to a class D address matching the one chosen for the multicast
group?

  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Kent Vander Velden

Q: Need help with multicast

Post by Kent A Vander Veld » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  Could someone recommend references that will help me write a system of
>programs that use multicast?  After doing some reading I am a little
>confused.

  I was able to find some information on how to solve my original
questions but now am stuck on how to join a multicast group.  Stevens
mentions using a simple test program in TCP Illustrated but does not
give the source code to it.  I have been trying to hack mrouted just but
thus far have had no luck.  Does anyone have good sample code for this?
Would seem to be a hard find.

  Thanks.

--
Kent Vander Velden

1. Linux needs SVGA? and other Qs HELP!

Could someone please give me some concise answers to these questions:

 1) Is SVGA a requirement? Won't X work with VGA? I have a paradise VGA 512k
 2) What sort of mouse do I need to run x windows?
 3) Is the X windows system working well enough I could write a few small
        programs for an independent study I am doing on X windows?
 4) How much space should I free on my 486 for X, GCC, EMACS, and the
    X libs. What versions of these programs will I need.
 5) Are there any known problems running linux on a 486 with an IDE drive?
 6) Where can I get a simple summary of how to set all of this up
    (I will write one if none exists and I end up actually setting this up)

  7) Partitioning software - What is avaliable? Any that will do it without
     requiring a reformat?
  8) Boot software- What is available? It is important both DOS and LINUX
     can be booted easily with little or no additional steps

I have read both the FAQ and the accounts of other people stting up linux
I have tested the floppy version of linux on the 486. It appears to work
and even recognize the hard drive.

        Thank you for your time! Please send responses via email and I can
         summarize as needed.

                Thanks again! -=-----Jeff

2. What's your Y2K strategy?

3. Multicast help needed.

4. ioctl: No buffer space available and iptunnel

5. Need help with multicast routing

6. Linux as a LAN server

7. Some multicast research -- help needed

8. X mousing

9. need help using multicast

10. help needed initializing DEQNA with multicast

11. Need help in using the multicast networking features via TLI