DLPI/Ethernet Question

Post by Ravi » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
 Is there a general DLPI interface to configure an Ethernet
card so that all outgoing packets are also passed to the upper
layers? Or is this a hardware specific feature?
 (I guess you know where this is heading. I'm trying to capture
  Ethernet packets, but I'm only able to see incoming packets).

-Thanks,
 Ravi.

You can reach me at:  'sukruta at vsnl dot com'

You can reach me at:  'sukruta at vsnl dot com'

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DLPI/Ethernet Question

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>  Is there a general DLPI interface to configure an Ethernet
> card so that all outgoing packets are also passed to the upper
> layers? Or is this a hardware specific feature?
>  (I guess you know where this is heading. I'm trying to capture
>   Ethernet packets, but I'm only able to see incoming packets).

You can try putting the interface into promiscuous mode with
DL_PROMISCON_REQ, but it varies from one unix to another
whether this causes frames you are transmitting to be
reflected back up your stream - certainly not all ethernet
DLPI drivers on all unixs do this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

DLPI/Ethernet Question

Post by Simon Thorningto » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I got this to work in Solaris.  I forget exactly how.  Get the "Ethernet
Tunnel" code from my website for an example.

http://www.hasc.com/~vir

I also have a DLPI spec there, dunno if it's current anymore.

Cheers,

Simon.

>>Hi,
>>Is there a general DLPI interface to configure an Ethernet
>>card so that all outgoing packets are also passed to the upper
>>layers? Or is this a hardware specific feature?
>>(I guess you know where this is heading. I'm trying to capture
>>Ethernet packets, but I'm only able to see incoming packets).
>You can try putting the interface into promiscuous mode with
>DL_PROMISCON_REQ, but it varies from one unix to another
>whether this causes frames you are transmitting to be
>reflected back up your stream - certainly not all ethernet
>DLPI drivers on all unixs do this.
>--
>Andrew Gabriel
>Consultant Software Engineer

1. Ethernet driver(DLPI) question

Hi. Does anybody know when using DLPI to program ethernet code if you
always have to bind a stream(its file descriptor) to a SAP of zero if
you are going to be receiving ethernet 802.3 packets? If so, does this
mean that you will have to determine on your own which are IP packets
and which are not? By the way, is there a Solaris or in general Unix
programming FAQ somewhere? Thanks in advance.
(Would greatly appreciate if could respond by mail also since my news
server has problems)

2. Best -CURRENT snapshot to get?

3. RS6K - Ethernet, Async IO, DLPI, and Special file ENT

4. Simulation of O.S.

5. DLPI Ethernet Driver Source

6. xterminal

7. Ethernet access on Solaris (dlpi documentation/example?)

8. Real Time Clock must be GMT?

9. Simple Solaris DLPI question?

10. DLPI and bufmod questions

11. DLPI promiscuous/raw mode question