Techniques for debugging executables?

Post by Tyson Richard DO » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for information on how to debug a UNIX process from another
process.

We wish to stop a child process at a specified point, extract the values of
its registers, stack and data area, modify its registers, stack and data
area, and then continue execution.

We also want to be able to start executing code from somewhere within the
executable, supplying register values in advance.

This sounds quite similar to what a lot of de*s must already do.

What techniques can be used to implement this under UNIX? We want to be
fairly portable. Platforms we want to support include Linux (1.2.13+),
Solaris 2.3 (and 2.5 or SunOS 5.3, 5.5), IRIX 5.2 (5.3) (maybe), and
Digital Unix (OSF/1) 3.2.

We're considering using the GNU BFD library -- will this help?

If it makes and difference, the context we will be using it in is to build
a hybrid abstract machine, that executes 'executable code' for some parts of
the program, and uses a bytecode interpreter for other parts of the code.

Email, opionions, pointers, and news-postings are all welcome.

Thanks,
Tyson.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #          Another great idea from the
                            #            people who brought you

http://www.veryComputer.com/~trd #            Confidence --- Red Dwarf
--
       Tyson Dowd           #          Another great idea from the
                            #            people who brought you

http://www.veryComputer.com/~trd #            Confidence --- Red Dwarf

1. Multi-threaded debugging techniques under Solaris 2.2

Hi,

        I've started delving deep into the mysterious of Solaris
multi-threading recently and have run up against the wall of
inadequate debugging tools (e.g., dbx simply doesn't work at all when
the threads library is used).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to
workarounds until this problem is resolved?  Moreover, will 2.3 have
better support for threads?

        Thanks,

                Doug
--
His life was gentle, and the elements so            | Douglas C. Schmidt

And say to all the world: "This was a man."         | ucivax!schmidt
   -- In loving memory of Terry Williams (1971-1991)| (714) 856-4101

2. partition question?

3. Kernel-debugging techniques

4. Name resolving from ip without DNS

5. Mastering Linux debugging techniques

6. "JetAdmin" for Linux?

7. problem configuring apache

8. thread debugging technique?

9. debugging incremental loaded executables

10. Debugging CC -executables with gdb

11. Debugging info in executables